Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One less homeschooler ...

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well, it broke my heart today but Ds is officially enrolled in public high school.

I think I've mentioned it here that he REALLY wanted into the robotics and engineering program at the local high school. We missed the district cut-off date but due to being homeschoolers they let him submit the application.

School starts Monday and I JUST got notification at 3:20 pm today @@  it took me calling EVERY day this week. Finally Thursday the Principal says, "I would take him but need approval from the Distrtict.I will call the District and get back to you today (Thurs)."

No word from him so I called the District today.. She  said she hadn't heard from the school if they would accept him or not but that Mr. R had left her a message, they are playing phone tag." @@ She finally decided from my info and the phone tag that she would write up the acceptance letter... YEAH!! (Well, sort of!)

As I pulled into the driveway, i got a call from Mr. R saying he finally got ahold of the District lady and he understood I had been to her office and gotten the letter.. LOL and he welcomed us and went over everything I need to get him set up Monday :) I felt really good after talking to him.

Then,as I was hanging up from Mr. R the District lady called back and confirmed that she confirmed it with Mr. R... LOL..and that she wishes DS the best of luck...

I have to remind myself this is DS's experience and it might be WONDERFUL compared to my experiences. It KILLED me to work so hard for something I really DONT want to happen, but DS wanted it so badly, and I believe he's of an age to have a say in the decision as long as it benefits him.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peggy_sue82
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
If he doesn't like it,he can always go back to homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

congrats...and i'm sorry, lol. i'm sure that's how you feel. he's old enough to know he wants this program, but it still can't be easy. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen to that! We always have a fall-back plan which really helped me allow this decision.

Quoting peggy_sue82:

If he doesn't like it,he can always go back to homeschool.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

northstarr666
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Congrats on giving your child wings.
oredeb
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

awwww jinx, how old is he?

its ok! it will be good! i bet he learns a lot, keep him talking!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:32 AM

He is 14yo, starting 9th grade. Really smart, really down to earth. I just hope to keep him that way!

Now we have to adjust too. he's done 3 years of Spanish already. We have to see if they will at least let him test out of Spanish 1 and 2.  He knows the vocabulary, he just needs practice speaking it.

Same with Math. He has already done algebra...he did it for 2 years just to "strengthen" his skills - so hopefully they let him into Geometry without a problem.

Quoting oredeb:

awwww jinx, how old is he?

its ok! it will be good! i bet he learns a lot, keep him talking!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

melindabelcher
by Mel on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

You rock!!!

Meeting your childs needs is what we're here for mama! By highschool age if my child demonstrated appropriate maturity to make the choice to attend a school and based on the academics they offer there not friends etc I'd be proud.

You should be a proud mama!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
It will be an experience for him, and hopefully a good one. :) like everyone else said, he can always come home if not. I loved our vocational school. I'd definitely consider allowing Julia to go to it in highschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceChild
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

My DS will go back into the public school system after homeschooling for 4 years.  So, I know what you're dealing with.  He and his older brother don't get along most of the time, so this will be a break for him. He also, in the past year, has been slacking in his work.  My only worries are that he does well academically and that he can hack the 40-min bus ride each way.  Socially, I'm not worried too much about. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

As homeschoolers we often talk about how we are trying to do what's best for our kids and how by homeschooling we are working to create responsible young men and women w/o all the garbage from ps.  It sounds like you have done just that - congratulations on that!  I think it's awesome that he's found something he's so interested in and that you have the courage to allow him to do that.  ((HUGS))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)