Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Structure and preschool age kids

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM
  • 14 Replies
I've noticed people are very against a structured approach for preschool. while I do agree that kids learn through play, I don't understand why people dislike having a plan for preschool, or loosely following a curriculum.

I've been looking at the blog 1+1+1=1 and I love her ideas and plan on incorporating some (especially the tot tray idea) into our homeschool for chelsey this year. I like having a plan, otherwise I'd never do anything with her. It also makes me think outside the box for creative little activities for her to do, and reminds me to make time to do one on one with her.

Our whole day isn't planned out or anything, but we might do a letter of the week, work on colors and shapes, have workboxes with a few manipulative type activities in it for her to do while we do school. Just things to occupy her and have her engaged in learning.

So I was just wondering, why is it discouraged when people come to us and ask what curriculum or method we use for preschool? I know there are a ton of planners like myself, who really enjoy doing these types of things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I never did a plan or a curriculum with my oldest, but with my other two, I am schooling the oldest and they need to be a part of some of it or we will all go crazy.  They have a lot more structure and get introduced to concepts a lot earlier than Xavier did.  I think they know more than he did at their ages, so I'm all for structure now!  But remember to play and make it fun!

oredeb
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

hi nikki,

when i think of structured  im afraid moms will just make their kids sit there in a chair and learn with no movement no hands on etc, boring!! getting mad when they just are not ready or dont understand

and not knowing they dont have to buy a huge curriculum(being a slave to the curr) spending all the money when they can do the same stuff with what they have at home,

but maybe i have a wrong idea of structured!!!

i do have a lesson plan for my youngest ones, so i dont forget what i want to go over each day!! im structured and dont know it?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I agree with Deb. Too many people really seem to want to force a whole 3 hours or something on the younger ones, which I don't agree with. I'm more into learning through play or guided play. I have no issue with the way you describe it. Doing things to occupy and stimulate is one thing, but forcing a 3 year old to do worksheets and whatnot, I don't like to see.

I don't like to see people starting Kinder before 5, either (personal preference, not a judgement). There is so much time to *have* to learn, why not just set up your house to be educational in general. Instead of completely worthless games, why not make sure everything is worthwhile. It makes sense to include the smaller kids when working with the older ones, that's organic learning, but to force feed them the ABCs and flash cards, no way! LOL

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

i do a structured lessons with my 3 year old but then again shes working on kindergarten work....i know she learns through play but learning to write and read take practice we use manipulatives or addition and will with subrtaction when she gets to it....were working on patterns right now and that usually done with a craft and thn sight words are on flash cards...but we do play bingo with the sight words as well :) and she loves that

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

i can appreciate your view on this but it think it depends on the child my 3 year old is doing great with the way we are doing things....and i run our lessons much like the kindergarten rooms ive worked in....some lessons are taught through playing/games or crafts and other are work sheets...but i wouldnt force it on her i she werent ready honestly i she werent ready or it i would do any schooling till next year but she begs to do it....i litterally had to make her take the weekend off....the first thing she says every morning is mom are you ready to do school with me....but we only do an hour or 2 a day but still usually cover a lot because she flies through everything i plan....i even try to stump her with something harder and she usually blows me away and can already do it so im proud to say im facilitating her to excell higher :) to her the wksheets are just as fun as color pages because at this age theres lots of pictures she can color once the work part is done so i think that why she likes them so much

Quoting mem82:

I agree with Deb. Too many people really seem to want to force a whole 3 hours or something on the younger ones, which I don't agree with. I'm more into learning through play or guided play. I have no issue with the way you describe it. Doing things to occupy and stimulate is one thing, but forcing a 3 year old to do worksheets and whatnot, I don't like to see.

I don't like to see people starting Kinder before 5, either (personal preference, not a judgement). There is so much time to *have* to learn, why not just set up your house to be educational in general. Instead of completely worthless games, why not make sure everything is worthwhile. It makes sense to include the smaller kids when working with the older ones, that's organic learning, but to force feed them the ABCs and flash cards, no way! LOL

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My daughter will be starting in September and she will turn 4 in December. 

We are using 1+1+1=1 -- Raising Rockstars Preschool curriculum along with a corresponding letter of the week theme. We will still be doing fun things like crafts, play doh, music time, story time, trips to the park etc... 

I started with her last spring doing the tot trays and she really liked them and begged for more, but I was scared to overwhelm her because everyone kept saying not to do too much structure with them.

I am going to follow her lead this time and do what I think will work for her. 

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I never did anything to "structured".  I had her help me make counting plates so that she could learn her numbers from 0-10.  She enjoyed it and counting the stickers that we used to make the plates.  We used and still use a  TON of flash cards.  She started reading about a month before she turned 4.  She is learning most of her sight words by just reading and remembering them.  She learned a lot through a few videos that we would let her watch.  If you have found something that works for her then use it.  I have found methods that work for my girls and will continue to expand on those as they get older and need more stuff to keep themselves busy.

oredeb
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

yea some kids are just ready for learning under 5 (my 3rd dd was) and some arent, ive seen so many moms force their little ones to learn under the age of 5, just to get one up on another homeschool mom with a child the same age, or just to brag how their child is reading 10th gr. books now(at 5) and the kids that were forced to go through this early learning hated school(ive taught a few of those) when they were older, they wouldnt do their lessons, they just hated it, wouldnt have nothing to do with any school stuff, and gave their parents a bad time, its  so sad to see for parents and kids!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Yes, this!

Quoting oredeb:

yea some kids are just ready for learning under 5 (my 3rd dd was) and some arent, ive seen so many moms force their little ones to learn under the age of 5, just to get one up on another homeschool mom with a child the same age, or just to brag how their child is reading 10th gr. books now(at 5) and the kids that were forced to go through this early learning hated school(ive taught a few of those) when they were older, they wouldnt do their lessons, they just hated it, wouldnt have nothing to do with any school stuff, and gave their parents a bad time, its  so sad to see for parents and kids!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I like having a plan for my lessons for my 3 1/2 yr. old.  We don't have alot of sit down work, but I plan for a theme with a book, song, letter, coloring or art activity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN