Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Structure and preschool age kids

Posted by   + Show Post
I've noticed people are very against a structured approach for preschool. while I do agree that kids learn through play, I don't understand why people dislike having a plan for preschool, or loosely following a curriculum.

I've been looking at the blog 1+1+1=1 and I love her ideas and plan on incorporating some (especially the tot tray idea) into our homeschool for chelsey this year. I like having a plan, otherwise I'd never do anything with her. It also makes me think outside the box for creative little activities for her to do, and reminds me to make time to do one on one with her.

Our whole day isn't planned out or anything, but we might do a letter of the week, work on colors and shapes, have workboxes with a few manipulative type activities in it for her to do while we do school. Just things to occupy her and have her engaged in learning.

So I was just wondering, why is it discouraged when people come to us and ask what curriculum or method we use for preschool? I know there are a ton of planners like myself, who really enjoy doing these types of things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (11-14):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I did one of those HUGE workbooks with her last year. We also did cutting activities and worked on writing letters. (Well, kind of writing.)

mommy.etc.
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM
My three and a half year old will have a "schedule". In schedule, I mean, we will work on a letter a week and do all sorts of things that use that letter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I plan circle time for my 2 and 3 year old where we are going to play on starfall and learn about bugs, amphibians and dinosaurs this year, on top of the pledge, weather and calander work for my big girls.  Then they will have coloring sheets, and workbooks and some manipulatives and thier own musical toys if they want to do if not then I have a portable dvd player and a few educational dvds that I can put on for them while I work with my older girls.

My son will be 4 in Feb. and he knows his shapes, colors, counts to 17, says his alphabet and recognizes most letters and numbers all through play and videos.  So I dont worry about structure other than to know what is next to learn when they want to do school.  Next year for him will have a bit more structure to prepare him for kindergarten either at home or in public school depending on his needs.

My 2 year old will start the following year with more structure unless she asks for it.  All my kids are extremely smart and I just follow thier lead.  My current 5 year old wanted lots of structured learning early.  My 6 year old started school at 4 and her sister wanted to do school also.  DD5 taught herself to read and DD6 learned math problems really quickly, DS3 memorizes everything and knows the french alphabet I sang to him as a baby.  My 2 year old knows her shapes, and colors.  So we have to have some structure but I try to keep the younger ones only working on school when they want to.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
See, I agree with pretty much everyone. So, I think maybe it is the term structured that makes some hsers run screaming. We all pretty much agree a plan or outline is okay, but having a rigid sit down and work plan isnt.
My plan is all play pretty much, its just that I write ideas on what kind of play I want to encourage that day to learn about, say, the color red, or the letter a.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN