Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell what my children will be missing?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 25 Replies

We went at the local skating rink today.  The instructor giving the lesson today asked my 4 yo if she was going to VPK this year.  She politely told him no that she goes to school at home.  This gentleman is very nice and very polite.  He then informs me that my children will me missing out on SO much b/c they won't be going to school.  I didn't ask him, but I am asking you, what will my children be missing.  He seems to think that the PS are doing so much of this and that and offering online classes down to the middle school children.  He seems to be under the impression that my children may be attached to a desk ALL day.  I can assure that isn't the case.  I even met 2 other homeschool families there today.  I was excited about that.

Can anyone tell me what my children will be missing by not attending PS?

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kckmom3
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM
4 moms liked this
Only thing they're missing out on is the gov't indoctrination that's rampant in the public schools!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think many people don't realize what all goes into homeschooling and think the kids aren't socialized.

As long as parents do what they're supposed to kids who get homeschooled don't miss out on anything. There are people who homeschool whose kids are missing out.

Mojitomommy
by Stacy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM
4 moms liked this
They will miss out on bully's .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginger0104
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If he thinks its wrong for a child to be attached to a desk all day long, he really should try visiting a typical public school classroom.

They'll miss out on socializing with their peers by osmosis.  You know... because they're not allowed to speak or interact during classtime.  And in some schools, even lunches are required to be completely silent. 

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll miss out on all the judgmental homeschooling responses! Send them to PS and no one will offer up unasked for advice and opinions. I mean, seriously, won't you miss being analyzed and questioned for your parental choices? (tic)
pixydustmommy
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Bullies, peer pressure, boredom.....

southernwldchld
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you what they'd miss out on if they *went* to public school.

Depending on your area, they'll even miss out on P.E.! No need to excercise kids, just sit here and try to not to move too much. 

This one is a sore point with me. When we tried 7yo in public K, he had P.E. once a week on Fridays. Fridays were half days, they had p.e./art/music/library on those days. Now keeping in mind this was half day K, they spent about an hour and a half at school on Fridays. We honestly didn't see the point in sending him.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM
7 moms liked this

They will miss eating food that has been processed like McDonald's everyday. They will miss being bullied & picked on for all kinds of things that they have no control over like their names, how tall/short they are, if they are fat/skinny. They will miss out on having the teacher not have time to help them regardless if they are a fast learner or slow learner. They will miss out on all the superficial friendships that are left at the school doors. They will miss out on getting sick with every kind of illness that runs through the school & getting lice. I could go on but I am sure you get what I am saying!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
They will miss out on all those germs crammed into one tiny room for 7 hours a day. Lol that is one big reason we homeschool. Who ever decided that we need to expose our kids to every germ known to man to build their immune systems at a very young age, really needs to rethink that one. Haha
southernwldchld
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

They will miss out on that important reasoning process to explain why they didn't do their homework. Falling whim to what new teacher they get every year. Forgetting your locker combo? I did that a lot. Anyone else ever walk into those metal bars inbetween the double doors? They'll miss those headaches.  Maybe I was just clumsy?

School lunch. Having a science book that said "And one day soon, man hopes to walk on the moon." (totally serious on that one) I was a bit shocked by that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)