Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please tell what my children will be missing?

Posted by   + Show Post

We went at the local skating rink today.  The instructor giving the lesson today asked my 4 yo if she was going to VPK this year.  She politely told him no that she goes to school at home.  This gentleman is very nice and very polite.  He then informs me that my children will me missing out on SO much b/c they won't be going to school.  I didn't ask him, but I am asking you, what will my children be missing.  He seems to think that the PS are doing so much of this and that and offering online classes down to the middle school children.  He seems to be under the impression that my children may be attached to a desk ALL day.  I can assure that isn't the case.  I even met 2 other homeschool families there today.  I was excited about that.

Can anyone tell me what my children will be missing by not attending PS?

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (21-25):
Larisa72
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

WAIT!!  Don't forget the head lice!!!  lol

I have been thinking about this ALL day.....others have touched on the recurring illnesses, but I had to get the head lice factor mentioned!!

It's amazing that, though we ALL read/sign the handbook at the beginning of the year, some parents will still send children to school with fevers, vomiting, strep......sheesh

black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Hahahahahaha.

Sorry. You almost made me laugh myself to tears.

In kindergarten my son was choked with his own scarf by a student on the bus. In second grade a teacher was verbally abusing three students including my son. In fifth grade he was found beaten in the bathroom.

In fourth grade my daughter was sexually assaulted. In sixth grade she was labeled a whore by a boy who said she was giving a group of boys oral sex after school in the woods. In seventh grade the same boy brought a gun to school to kill her.

Your children are yours. He needs to learn his place. You are doing perfect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

bullying, get every sickness , more bullying, sitting in a room with 30 other kids, im sure theres some good things but its been over 40 years since i was at a public school

luvinhs
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting lucsch:

Well, there ARE some things about public school that you will have to look toward a homeschooling co-op or a community group to duplicate, like theater, band, choir, sports, speech club, etc. and certain classes, which may be difficult for you to teach (i.e. upper math or perhaps foreign language). Giving up those is totally worth it, for all the other disadvantages people have stated here already.

Yes, you may have to look for these things, but my homeschooled kids are heaviily involved in local community theater, as well as toastmasters ( speech club) and they play Upward and rec league sports. My kids are not interested in band or choir, but a large city near us sponsors both a boys and girls choir, there is homeschool band group as well as church bands/praise groups available.  There are tutors, video instruction, and co-ops available for things like higher math, lab sciences, etc.

One good thing about all of this is that because we participate in activities sponsored by our community, not the local ps, my husband and I are more than welcome to participate in these things too, if we so choose.  We both have enjoyed participating in several community theater productions that included our entire family.  You won't get that in public school.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Quoting lucsch:

Well, there ARE some things about public school that you will have to look toward a homeschooling co-op or a community group to duplicate, like theater, band, choir, sports, speech club, etc. and certain classes, which may be difficult for you to teach (i.e. upper math or perhaps foreign language). Giving up those is totally worth it, for all the other disadvantages people have stated here already.

Around here all of that is in high school only.  They cut art and music in grades 1-6, band is only in high school (not middle anymore),  Chorus is only in high, they cut phys ed to one day per week, They closed one of the playgrounds so all grades are on one playground (to cut down on teacher duties).  They cut all the elementary sports and all the middle school sports except football and volleyball (and they only kept volleyball when they learned that they would have to let girls on the football team if the girls didn't have an "equal" sport in the age group.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN