Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This may be a slightly taboo topic, but figured this would be the best place to discuss it.

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 10 Replies
Depression!

Like I said maybe taboo..but as stay at home homeschooling moms..it tends to creep up sometimes.

Sure we love staying at home and teaching our kids..but sometimes the stress can bring you down. Or the isolation can get to you, or the fact that it is hard to find friends that homeschool as well...
Just curious if any of you have any personal experiences or tips to share for avoiding the blues?
This topic is especially important with the cold weather coming on soon.

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Depression runs in my family so I can relate. I take calcium every day to help ward off depression. I'm not on antidepressants right now, but if I needed them, I would get on them. Make sure you get enough sunlight, as that is suppose to help. We have no support here at all, so that really brings me down on certain days. I would love to have a homeschooling Mom/friend that lived here. Daily exercise is suppose to help release endorphins naturally too.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Quoting Danielle163:

Depression runs in my family so I can relate. I take calcium every day to help ward off depression. I'm not on antidepressants right now, but if I needed them, I would get on them. Make sure you get enough sunlight, as that is suppose to help. We have no support here at all, so that really brings me down on certain days. I would love to have a homeschooling Mom/friend that lived here. Daily exercise is suppose to help release endorphins naturally too.

Hmm. I hadn't heard of taking calcium for that. I. Will be sure to remember that this winter.
It runs in my family as well. I tend to get the winter time blues. But if I don't make a point to get out of the house every few days I tend to get down. I love my house and kids and life..but staying home can get depressing. Lol its a catch 22
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM
I'm much the same. I go for almost daily walks and take vitamins with added calcium. It helps, but nothing works as well as having someone to talk with.

Quoting Danielle163:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I can relate to this, it is only our 2nd year and I am worried about fall and winter. I started taking supplements too and that has been a great helper, Vit. D (it helps with the "sunlight" in winter) and Vit B Complex.  I have 3 boys, 2 of whom are very active so getting out of the house almost daily (even if it is just outside to the backyard or walking out to the mailbox or around the neighborhood) has been the biggest factor in preventing my depression from reoccurring; I've also been lucky enough to have a treadmill and make good use of that a few days a week after my boys are in bed.  We belong to local homeschool support groups (found through Yahoo groups), and we joined a co-op last winter which is 1 day a week; sometimes I have to force myself to go to the group nights (once a month) because I have a hard time being social but it is always beneficial and keeps me going.  I also plan a weekly library trip, we have a field trip co-op we belong to that is once a month and usually free fieldtrips and just a chance for moms to talk & kids to play. I would really be lost without these groups even though I'm not totally comfortable and sometimes feel like an outsider at these. I'm glad you brought this up though.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I dont get all out depression but I need to be out and moving. Luckily, we live in sounthern CA and it's really nice most of the years.I find that getting outand walking the dog or taking the kids to the park can make a huge difference. it doesnt have to be a huge field trip to satisfy my need to "do something"

We are going to join the hiking club again this year to get out and get more exercise.

awilliams77
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Yes . I actually take meds . Family history here too. In the the past , I tried St. John.'s wort and the broad spectrum light bulbs,but that was not enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Well this year I work full time, however in the past I always made sure that I got one day(either Saturday or Sunday) to myself. I would get together with friends(who may or may not homeschool) for coffee or lunch, discussing our school days and children was not allowed for an hour, we would just talk about other things. We had a deal that during that hour if the talk of homeschooling or children came up the offender would have to pay for the coffee or lunch (it was a lot a fun). If I couldn't get together with my friends then I would go and window shop or to the library. During the colder months we always made sure to get together more.

Without Faith there is no Hope, Without Hope there is no Faith, this is true in all religions.

Shari

peacelovingmom
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM

You are not the only one. When winter hits and the snow begins to fly, I feel isolated too. I live in the boonies too, which makes it hard when bad weather hits. I do find taking walks with my kids helps and playing in the snow. Also I joined a homeschool co-op which is free and the group does something every Wednesday. The group is free and most of the events are free too, besides for gas. This helps me and my daughter get out of the house and I can talk to other homeschooling moms and my daughter gets to hang out with her friends. Here are some links that you might be able to find a group www.home-school.com/groups/, www.homeschool.meetup.com , www.homeschool.com/supportgroups/. Some libraries offer homeschool programs too and I always look for free stuff to do too. I am a divorced mom, so I definitely have to find cheap things to do. Taking a day off or have an art day or field trip helps with the stress too. I have depression too, but I am on medication for it. Exercise helps me a lot. I hope this information helps you.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I suffer from Bipolar disorder and depression. I have lots of things I do to keep myself even without medicine but it would probably sound crazy to write out. LOL

I agree with walking and getting enough sunlight. I also live on the Interwebz. LOL

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Get a hobby, separate from the kids.

Exercise and vitamins are important.

Every day when you get up, take a shower, fix your hair,  put on makeup, if you wear it, and wear real clothes and shoes, not just loungewear. This makes a HUGE difference for me.

Go on a "date" with your SO weekly, or at least, monthly. Sometimes our lives get all wrapped up into our kids and we forget who we were with just our spouse. This probably does more for me than anything else.

Make a schedule and stick to it BUT don't fill up every minute of your waking hours. Allow some flexibility. We are women, not robots. I have a rough schedule, not only for homeschool, but also for cleaning, cooking, shopping, and laundry. If I didn't, most of those things would not get done. LOL I feel better when I know I'm "doing my job."

I struggle with depression, too. One thing I've done that has really helped a lot is therapy. I tried taking anti-depressants; but they seem to gloss over my issues, not solve them. Therapy actually helps you work through emotional issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)