Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

anyone else have insomnia thinking about activities and such for homeschooling?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this
The closer I get to beginning the school year homeschooling the more excited and more insomnia I have thinking about it. I keep createing list after list after list of things I need or should say want to get still. And some final touches on the classroom. But I am getting really excited! Like really. It is 3:30 where I live and I am wide awake. Anyone else up too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Prahl
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 5:06 AM
That's me lol. Igor to sleep late and wake up early I find myself drinking energy drinks just to get through the day.
Beenhereforever
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 5:11 AM
What state do u live in? I'm a mess. Not organized I don't have curriculum or anything..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I have serious insomnia going on, but mines more of a I forgot to my ambien refilled and after my neck earlier this week I got all out of whack. So mine isn't caused by curriculum, but not helped by the fact that my school are is an absolute wreck.

And not one of those;

"Oh pardon the mess" as I look at the lone toy lying by the tv stand. Kind of wreck either.

No it is an honest to god, curriculum exploded, someone (under five) tried to feed and water the dogs/cats, what in the world spilled on this table, did you seriously just break that chair, kind of wreck. 

It's scary and I have yet to get the gumption to go in there. 

awilliams77
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Nope. Not me. I am still up bc I work overnight right now....hs all 4,just one student left. ds is in 7th grade this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I've been able to sleep most the time, but my mind does go constantly thinking of what I need and want to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheila5745
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yes... I can hardly sleep at night.. LOL I thought it was meds. But I while I was waiting to see if my little one was going to be excused for the year,(my first year home schooling) I couldn't sleep but maybe 2 to 3 hours a night. I would come out to the couch and write stuff down and fall a sleep. (lack of sleep has aged me 10 years!!) LOL.. Now that I have the approval, I am going nuts trying to figuire out where to start and how to do things. My hubby got some more cabinets yesterday for me and I worked all day, then went back down after supper.. It was after 8 when I came up to shower and relax.

I have to say I slept pretty good last night. First night in I can't remember when. Glad to know it is not just me!!! Have a great day. I know where I should be headed but wanted to stop in and see what the chats were..

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I do that too, even through the school term.  I have found that keeping a pen and pencil by the bed helps though. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Beenhereforever:

What state do u live in? I'm a mess. Not organized I don't have curriculum or anything..

Following is some information that will help you get started. Ask all the questions you like.  There are some great people here who are willing to help..

The first step is to know your state laws.  Some states require a particular type of curriculum, so you do not want to purchase curriculum you can't use.  State Home School Associations are usually more than willing to help with that.  Following is a link so you can find yours:  Finding your state's home school association: 

• Knowing your child's learning style will help you save money on curriculum that does not work with your child. Workbooks work just fine with some children (45% of the population), but do more harm than good for the rest of the children.

• Physically involving the child in the learning process  (real life experiences, and games) reaches all the personalities...children learn faster, retain more, and retain their love for learning for a life time.
  • What Public schools require of children is not necessarily the measure of what your child needs to learn... Each child is unique, but  Grade Level Requirements For Public Schooled Children
  • There are some good free computer games on line that physically involve the children in the learning process. But they are not good for teaching phonics, because they teach some of the sounds incorrectly making it hard for the children to blend the sounds to form words (it makes phonics pointless, and children revert to sight word recognition) It is important that you teach the child the sounds, so you know they are taught the basics correctly... Free Videos To Hear The Phonic Sounds (for parents....not the child)

Here is a link to save you money: How To Write Your Own Lesson Plans , . It is easier than you might think.

When I do use curriculum, I like ones that are created by home school families, because home school is not the classroom. Ring Around The Phonics (for Language Arts) , and Math U See.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have insomnia, but I think about homeschool stuff morning, noon and night.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I have chronic insomnia and homeschooling at least gives me something to think about while I'm awake. LOL

It's always in the middle of the night that I think of awesome ideas that I can't quite remember in the morning. I think I will do what Romacox says to do and keep a pen and paper handy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN