Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone Unschool?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
  • 16 Replies
I want to do this because my son is very curious and learns WAY better on his own. He is still very young but we are already kind of doing it, sooo...

What are your experiences?

Is it hard in your state?

How do you plan and keep up with the requirements?

Any thing you can suggest?

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM
We are child-led learners. I, personally, don't like the term unschoolers as its more of an umbrella term - it can cover teaching/learning styles that range from those who do absolutely nothing, to those who let the kids pick and choose.

For our family, I tend to talk to the kids and ask what they are interested in learning, then I find tons of resources and the kids then choose which they want to use.

It's much easier for us since we live in a state that has no approval, regulation or testing. So I don't have to worry about it. But honestly most of us 'unschoolers' see life as learning, so it's easy to say they learned for 180 days or such-n-such hours, or did all these subjects. Because the kids are living all those things. You can get an overview of my school - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Kassi12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM

What are your experiences? My kids love the freedom that comes with being unschoolers & love helping them find the things they wish to know.

Is it hard in your state? No it is very easy in my state (Texas)

How do you plan and keep up with the requirements? no planing & I get very creative with my description of things.

Any thing you can suggest? Let them get board that helps with the creativity.

Kassi12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Quoting usmom3:

What are your experiences? My kids love the freedom that comes with being unschoolers & love helping them find the things they wish to know.Is it hard in your state? No it is very easy in my state (Texas)How do you plan and keep up with the requirements? no planing & I get very creative with my description of things.Any thing you can suggest? Let them get board that helps with the creativity.

Thanks for you reply :) my son really needs to learn how to get creative. If he gets bored he just stands there and crys... It drives me insane.

Kassi12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

We are child-led learners. I, personally, don't like the term unschoolers as its more of an umbrella term - it can cover teaching/learning styles that range from those who do absolutely nothing, to those who let the kids pick and choose.

For our family, I tend to talk to the kids and ask what they are interested in learning, then I find tons of resources and the kids then choose which they want to use.

It's much easier for us since we live in a state that has no approval, regulation or testing. So I don't have to worry about it. But honestly most of us 'unschoolers' see life as learning, so it's easy to say they learned for 180 days or such-n-such hours, or did all these subjects. Because the kids are living all those things. You can get an overview of my school - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

Thanks for the info. I read that link you gave. I will keep that in mind :) I feel like learning through interests and through everyday things are important. I also feel the way you said you did in your other page. I had a VERY hard time doing timed math tests in PS and my mom pulled me out right after that. My little SIS decided she didn't want to learn her ABC's because I knew them and they PASSED her. The next year they wouldn't give her a book because of it. She was the only one in her class that didn't know her ABC's or have a book. My mother just decided she was going to HS us and her future children.

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Another "unschooler" here. I've got two sons and our beginning was more a radical unschooling method. As they grew older it is now more child led learning. They are very independent learners, never get bored and are always busy doing something. They equate learning with fun...because it is. We're also military so depending where we're stationed determines the "rules" I need to follow. I've been fortunate because we lived in Oklahoma for a while and they are very pro homeschooling there. Now we're in Germany and I don't have to do any reporting or mandatory testing either.

Another unschooler on CM (Linda Clement) describes unschooling as school before public school existed. I think that states it perfectly. :-D
Kassi12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Quoting TheCrooners:

Another "unschooler" here. I've got two sons and our beginning was more a radical unschooling method. As they grew older it is now more child led learning. They are very independent learners, never get bored and are always busy doing something. They equate learning with fun...because it is. We're also military so depending where we're stationed determines the "rules" I need to follow. I've been fortunate because we lived in Oklahoma for a while and they are very pro homeschooling there. Now we're in Germany and I don't have to do any reporting or mandatory testing either.

Another unschooler on CM (Linda Clement) describes unschooling as school before public school existed. I think that states it perfectly. :-D

Thanks for answering my post :)

A question I have now is what is the difference between radical USing and child led learning?

That's awesome about not having to report!

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Quoting Kassi12:

LOL! It can get confusing with all the terms. For me, radical unschooling is applying the principles of unschooling to everything about your life not just the educational aspect. It became our lifestyle, our philosophy. It was important for my children to be able to be independent with everything they did. From what time they went to bed, to when they woke up, to what they ate, to what they played, etcetera... It set the foundation for them to be independent and to have control over their lives. However, it does not mean I was not actively involved. I was and still am very involved in the choices they make and being a good role model for them.

I made the decision to follow that path because my sons are autistic. My oldest was severely affected and following this path allowed him to gain a better understanding of the world around him. Both of my sons have really flourished. There are many issues autistic children struggle with but my sons seemed to adapt more easily because of the amount of control they had over their lives.

We've been unschooling for ten years now and it works beautifully for our family. My sons are very organized, responsible, social and remain curious, independent learners. We're not so radical anymore. Mostly because the foundation has already been set. Both boys have a daily routine, tasks and household responsibilities that they created and follow. I don't struggle with them to clean their rooms, throw out the trash or other things like that because they do it without being told. That is a direct result of us applying the unschooling principle to every aspect of their lives.

Kassi12
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Quoting TheCrooners:

Ok I see, we kind of do that. My son is not super into making decisions yet but is starting to get the idea. I give him choices for everything I can, but he gets overwhelmed easily. He is VERY emotionaly aware, lol. He also is very detail oriented. When we change seasonal decor he will walk around the room v...e...r...y slowly and take it all in, then if one little thing changes he will just stare.... We have just moved (three months ago) so he is still in the very emotional transition stage. Right now if I do something out of order he will get upset until I fix the mistake. In our old house he was doing amazing with that kind of lifestyle. In this one he is having a hard time wanting to do anything. He just wants to stay right by me and he constantly goes through the list of people he loves asking where they are. I already knew he wasn't your average kind of baby but now Im concerned. He just isn't caring about anything but people. sorry about the book about my life lol. I just don't know what to do about it.

I just started setting up 'invitations' with stuff that I know he use to love and he's taken the polymers and making dough out of water, flour, and oil. I know play is healing to the mind so Im trying everything I can think of...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN