Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I want to do this because my son is very curious and learns WAY better on his own. He is still very young but we are already kind of doing it, sooo...

What are your experiences?

Is it hard in your state?

How do you plan and keep up with the requirements?

Any thing you can suggest?

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-16):
TheCrooners
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Quoting Kassi12:

I completely get you on the whole adjusting to moving. We're a military family and have recently moved overseas. The toughest part for my kids is them missing their grandparents and uncles. Truthfully, that's the toughest thing for me as well. And the crazy kids miss Walmart of all places! lol Anyhow, I do hope it won't be too long now before your son adapts to his new environment and starts enjoying it. Time and new activities should at least help keep him distracted from being too homesick.
my2.5boys
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

We are unschoolers. My basic philosophy is that I trust my children will learn the things they need to know, to accomplish the goals they set for themselves. I wouldn't say we are child-led, or parent-led. We all live and learn and grow together as a family. I make no lesson plans for them, and there is absolutely nothing they are required to learn. We live in Florida, and my boys are enrolled in an umbrella school, so all I have to report is attendance, which is pretty easy. It's been my experience that once my children set their minds to learning something, there's no stopping them. All I have to do is sit back, watch, and answer questions when they ask.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Quoting Kassi12:

I know, there should be a dictionary for HS'ers! Technically radical HS'ers do NOTHING of focused education. Literally the parents do no printing, prompting, etc.

For child-led, the kids are in charge of what topics they are interested in learning, then mom runs ragged finding multiple resources the kids can choose from. So it's a middle ground between doing nothing and doing book learning.
Kassi12
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Ok I see, thanks every one for replying. It's awesome to have you guys here!
KrazyMomOfBoys
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

We are. And I agree with KickButtMama.  I don't like the term. I have always used free learners. It's been quite a homeschooling journey to where we are and I LOVE it!

Kassi12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Quoting KrazyMomOfBoys:

We are. And I agree with KickButtMama.  I don't like the term. I have always used free learners. It's been quite a homeschooling journey to where we are and I LOVE it!

I was homeschooled with a little more creativity then some, but we had a lesson plan and the general subjects and things. It seems so weird to not be planning or doing something to help him learn lol. At this point he really only wants to watch videos though and I don't like that. I just don't know how to get him to start learning on his own again.

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)