Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone been to ecuador.

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 9 Replies
My brother in law and his wife are back packing the world for 12-18 months. She is a writer and is documenting their travels. They left today. The first stop is Ecuador. We will be following their travels and creating lesson around where they are. I am having a hard time finding a traditional Ecuador food that is vegetarian. Anyone ever been there and know something the locals love. I was thinking I can just do something like mangos, but it would be awesome to have a Ecuador inspired dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

what about empanadas??

found this

Vegetarian Food in Ecuador

Vegetarianism is rather a new concept in Ecuador, outside of the few vegetarian restaurants in tourist areas, and vegans are even more unusual. A vegetarian dish is often understood to mean without red meat, so you may be given chicken instead... Most vegetable soups are made with meat or chicken stock, and/or milk - ask if not sure. Eggs may be fried in lard if you do not make your vegetarian requirements very clear. However, with creativity and a bit of Spanish vocabulary, vegetarians and vegans can eat very well in Ecuador.
Tasty vegan dishes in Ecuador include "menestra" - stewed lentils (lenteja) or beans (frijol), though you'll have to explain that you don't want the beef they are invariably served with, or donate it to a fellow diner. Menestra is usually also served with rice and fried plantain, so its a reasonably balanced vegetarian meal.
For vegetarians, eggs (huevos) can be found even in tiny villages and can be fried (fritos) or scrambled (revueltos) and served with rice (arroz) or potato (papa). Add an avocado (aguacate) or tomato (tomate), with some chilli sauce to cheer it up, and you have a nutritious vegetarian meal (though probably one you will eat so many times that you get bored with it, if you spend much time in small villages in Ecuador).
A vegetarian meal rather high in fat, but very tasty, is patacones (fried chunks of plantain) with cheese, avocado and salad - a great combination, if you can persuade the restaurant that you want them all at the same time. For vegetarian variety, in the costa you may be able to get "yuca frita" (fried yuca, a bit like chips) instead of the patacones, or in the sierra, "choclo" (corn on the cob).

The Ecuadorian vegetarian meals include a lot of potatoes, because potatoes have been the main aliment in the Andean diet, as these were found here in a wide range of species: blue, sweet, red seeded (achiote), regular, nut tiny or watermelon large potatoes. The potatoes are combined with many aliments: lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage and various spices. The Spanish potatoes salad is made with onion, pepper, olive oil, cabbage, mustard, sugar, lemon juice and tarragon. This recipe also has a meat version. The vegetarian meals are spread in 3 main cities: Otavalo, Banos and Quito, where the traditional pollo sin pollo (meaning chicken without chicken) is served, on a wide plate from which the meat had been removed. The fish or chicken can be easily removed from any salads and these would still taste good, as they are complex, with many ingredients and flavors. The variety of eatable exotic fruits also facilitates the vegetarian lifestyle.

*i know more than you wanted to know!!!hahahah hope something here helps!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Oh what a fun adventure for them & you!

alinev
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Been to Ecuador, my family is actually Ecuadorian, but other then Guniea pig, I cannot remember a good Ecuadorian dish. Note, Guniea pig is NOT good!!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

how cool!  Can the kids skype them?  

mjp2707
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Oh yea we will Skype a lot. Michael thinks they are the coolest people ever. Since Michael doesn't do well giving and recieving in conversation I decided to let him pick questions and interview people. The first person he picked was my brother in law and the questions he asked were questions like what would you do for your birthday. He was trying to find out what Brian was doing so Michael can do the same thing.

Quoting Boobah:

how cool!  Can the kids skype them?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM
This is awesome. Thanks

Quoting oredeb:

what about empanadas??

found this

Vegetarian Food in Ecuador

Vegetarianism is rather a new concept in Ecuador, outside of the few vegetarian restaurants in tourist areas, and vegans are even more unusual. A vegetarian dish is often understood to mean without red meat, so you may be given chicken instead... Most vegetable soups are made with meat or chicken stock, and/or milk - ask if not sure. Eggs may be fried in lard if you do not make your vegetarian requirements very clear. However, with creativity and a bit of Spanish vocabulary, vegetarians and vegans can eat very well in Ecuador.

Tasty vegan dishes in Ecuador include "menestra" - stewed lentils (lenteja) or beans (frijol), though you'll have to explain that you don't want the beef they are invariably served with, or donate it to a fellow diner. Menestra is usually also served with rice and fried plantain, so its a reasonably balanced vegetarian meal.

For vegetarians, eggs (huevos) can be found even in tiny villages and can be fried (fritos) or scrambled (revueltos) and served with rice (arroz) or potato (papa). Add an avocado (aguacate) or tomato (tomate), with some chilli sauce to cheer it up, and you have a nutritious vegetarian meal (though probably one you will eat so many times that you get bored with it, if you spend much time in small villages in Ecuador).

A vegetarian meal rather high in fat, but very tasty, is patacones (fried chunks of plantain) with cheese, avocado and salad - a great combination, if you can persuade the restaurant that you want them all at the same time. For vegetarian variety, in the costa you may be able to get "yuca frita" (fried yuca, a bit like chips) instead of the patacones, or in the sierra, "choclo" (corn on the cob).

The Ecuadorian vegetarian meals include a lot of potatoes, because potatoes have been the main aliment in the Andean diet, as these were found here in a wide range of species: blue, sweet, red seeded (achiote), regular, nut tiny or watermelon large potatoes. The potatoes are combined with many aliments: lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage and various spices. The Spanish potatoes salad is made with onion, pepper, olive oil, cabbage, mustard, sugar, lemon juice and tarragon. This recipe also has a meat version. The vegetarian meals are spread in 3 main cities: Otavalo, Banos and Quito, where the traditional pollo sin pollo (meaning chicken without chicken) is served, on a wide plate from which the meat had been removed. The fish or chicken can be easily removed from any salads and these would still taste good, as they are complex, with many ingredients and flavors. The variety of eatable exotic fruits also facilitates the vegetarian lifestyle.

*i know more than you wanted to know!!!hahahah hope something here helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

you mean it doesnt taste like chicken?!~

Quoting alinev:

Been to Ecuador, my family is actually Ecuadorian, but other then Guniea pig, I cannot remember a good Ecuadorian dish. Note, Guniea pig is NOT good!!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My kids would cry if they found out people eat guinea pigs.  They have 2.  They didnt believe when we were talking about asian countries and I told them they eat dog and cat.  I dont know how they would handle guinea pigs as food.

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting alinev:

alinev
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM
No, and it sits on your plate like a rodent that was retrieved from a fire - ugh!

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting alinev:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)