Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I would love to see what others have on their book lists this year! You can include the read-alouds too.

I wann get some new ideas, since you can never have too many good books to choose from : )

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Replies (11-17):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

We're doing American Lit this year, (10th grade) so:

The Scarlet Letter

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

To Kill a Mockingbird

Death of a Salesman

Various American short stories

I also randomly toss interesting books at her to see if they catch her interest. I just realized that she doesn't seem to have much of a sense of history in general, and women's history in particular, so I'm going to sneak in a few other historical novels.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I keep changing my second graders list. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I keep changing my second graders list. Lol

Been there done that!

What about lineing up her reading list to go along with her history? Like Sonlight does it. If you guys are still going to use SOTW again, look through your activity guide for all the books you will need, and then pick and choose the ones that are the best fit.

mrs.musquiz
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We're doing American Lit this year, (10th grade) so:

The Scarlet Letter

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

To Kill a Mockingbird

Death of a Salesman

Various American short stories

I also randomly toss interesting books at her to see if they catch her interest. I just realized that she doesn't seem to have much of a sense of history in general, and women's history in particular, so I'm going to sneak in a few other historical novels.

Those are all great books. I was in honors english, and for some reason we didn't read huckleberry finn or to kill a mockingbird. But the other classes did. I did read The Scarlet Letter, and Death of a salesman. I remember reading poems and short stories by Henry David Thoreau. Specifically "Civil Disobediance". For some reason, that stuck out.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM

We don't have a list. I pick up books from the library and we read them. So far we have some leveled readers for independent reading. I also read to him Magic School Bus books, history, etc... He is in 1st. We are doing Christopher Columbus, Pilgrims, Indians, and Amerigo Vasbuchi (sp>) reading right now. Also have osme books about the formation of the earth and how water accumilates. Just stuff like that really. It goes with his SS and science. But we read Rumplestiltskin and Robinson Crueso. I checked them out from the library. They are leveled reader chapter books (not the original books) and he liked them alot. Right now it's introductory stuff really for us.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
We usually read & re-read the Magic Tree House series.
srichtermom
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM

My 4th grader's list for this year so far :-)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Great Gilly Hopkins

The Midwife's Apprentice

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Song of the Trees

Wrinkle in Time

She is a very fast reader so these are mostly for the first half of the year.  I'm still researching some other titles for our second semester.  She is also in a book club class through our co-op but I haven't received the book list from that yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN