Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help with son please

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
Okay so my son is 6 1/2 yrs old.
He is extremly bright and it takes him no time at all to catch on to things. Exp. I taught him what a noun is at 5 yr. Old and it litterally took me 10 min. I taught him how to carry numbers in math that also took maybe 15 min. Borrowing numbers a good 40 min. And so on. His mind is unbeilivable at memorizing things as well. So the problem?
He has been taking piano for 2 years now and lately he seems to get extremly frustrated when learning. Like if he misses one note while playing he just gets very hard on himself and distraught. I have had him do this at home if I teach him someething and he does not get it right away he gets very down, I talk him through it eexplain practice makes perfect, no one knows everything and ect. But at home he will still get it in another 10 min. Where piano is a life long process so to say. So wh ile at piano yesterday he got very frustrated and upset started crying then banged the piano. And he did awesome foe the first 25 min. It was the last 5 min he just couldn't figure out a note. So I guess I need advice on how to deal with this. He is so caring natually but to see him bang on the piano like that gets me worried. I did give him a punishment to teach him he can not act that way. But I was thinking maybe if I start him on a project he would love thaT will take time to complete? Idk I was hoping that would show him good things come to those who wait. But I am open to suggestions so please help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

My dd who is 6 1/2 went through something simalar last year with math.  She has always been able to do math quickly and she ran into something in first grade math that she just couldnt get.  It was the first time she had ever had such a hard time.  I had to tell her to just do her best and if she messes up it is ok.  She started messing up on stuff on purpose to test me and I let her.  We would review and redo as she messed up and I never made a big deal after a week she started working at her advanced level again and quite getting upset about making a mistake.  With math she is as quick as your son is in everything. So she wasnt use to not getting 100%.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Unusually bright children are often analytical personalities, and they typically get very upset with themselves if they do not grasp things right away.  See if this video describes your son.

More about these children, and their learning style is at: Understanding The NT (Rational) Child.

mommytobooger
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

oh wow after watching that video i can not believe how much that is my son!!!

i am now going to research more about it.

thank you sooo much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN