Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When's a good age to start homeschooling?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everybody.  Ever since my first dd was born we knew we were going to homeschool.  She's now 3 1/2 years old and right now she would have been enrolled in a montessori preschool if she would have gone to school.  When I start drawing up lesson plans I start to worry I'm starting her too soon.  We do work on things like counting, alphabet, shapes, and other typical things kids learn during that age.  It's just nothing is structured and at times I feel things get neglected.  Is it too early or, is it better to get the homeschooling ball rolling now that way once we have to notify the state we are already organized and on a schedule?

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

You have already been home schooling. LOL

At this age they don't really need to "know" a whole lot.  My DD is way ahead for her age and at 4 she is doing basic addidition and subtraction.  We can't "officially" start K until January with the program that we chose.  Just make her everyday activites a learning experience.  Some of the Moms on here will have links to things that will show what she she should know by a certain age, but again not all kids are the same.

desertrose69
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I don't think that's too early at all. I think learning begins in the womb! I started around 5 for one child, and 4 for the others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
all2gethernow
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
As someone who has done it with 4 kids for 13 years, I can say without a doubt: you've already begun! Go girl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
all2gethernow
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
And, get her used to it now, and it won't be such a shock when you sit her down at 5!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

We "do school" with my 3 1/2 yo son.  I make lesson plans and we "sit" and do 20 minute lessons.  I'm slowly making his attention span longer and we are working on fine motor skills.  According to the sparkschool.com readiness test, ds is ready for kindergarten, so we are starting more structured learning.  He's doing very well right after breakfast and right before lunch. 

Nonnyms
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses!  I guess I was worrying too much about it.  I'll work on sitting down with her to make her attention span longer for lessons.

oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

you dont need to be structured at this young age, if she wants to learn let her and if she doesnt stop and play instead, good time to teach them songs, poems, games, any learning of colors numbers abcs make it fun! make it a game, not something structured, have fun with her! do lots of arts and crafts, they learn so much from that, go one nature hikes in the back yard(packing a lunch) make it fun! let her paint on large paper, dance, sing, etc!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I would just keep doing what you are doing!

TeaHound
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I start doing SOMETHING with them abt age 3. One page at a time a few times a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN