Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We officially started preschool today!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yep!  We would have started Monday, but true to my family, we all got sick LOL!  Now that the worst of the hacking and sneezing has passed (and mommy can actually talk again) we started up today.  They turned 3 in May, so we decided to give it a try and see how they take to it.  We probably won't do it every day, or at least not a lot each day.  Some days will be less structured.  But today was a great start, and they loved it.  

This morning we spent a little time on listening skills.  We started off with picking up toys, and putting them where mommy said.  But we made a game out of it...when mommy said go, you run to put up the toy.  If mommy says stop, freeze in place!  It was a blast, and really helped them work on following directions.  It also helped get out some of the wiggles, because our next activity was a sit down one.  
  In to the "school room."  At this point the kiddos were really excited to go to school.  Mommy has been talking about it, so they were hyped up for it!  We opened with a prayer and mommy talked about the day of the week.  We ahve a great wall calendar for that, and they are fast learning days of the week already!  
   I was given some nifty pre-school work books from my SMIL and FIL for Christmas, and pulled those out.  The "first lesson" was combined with matching colors to objects, and coloring those objects.  One page had blue items, the other had red.  And they had to color them in.  They know a good deal of colors, but this was the first time really applying that knowledge to  an activity.  They were so proud of themselves by the end of it!  You could see it on their faces.  They did fairly well with following directions, but obviously there is room to improve. 

Then it was on to a little bit of free play while mommy cleaned up, marked the activity down for my records, and set up for arts and crafts. 

For art we colored for a bit, and then made some birthday cards for my MIL with water colors.  DS really needed some help with it, so listening skill activities are going to be good for him.  DD was a natural, that girl loves to paint. She told me she made a diamond castle on her card (her favorite Barbie movie lol).  

Then more free play while mommy cleaned and made lunch, followed by some reading time.  We read from their children's Bible, and then read Shiny Dinah (a favorite here).  And then to nap....

Let me tell you, it was a fight.  They wanted to continue with school.  They said "keep doing school mama, it's wake up time!!"  But they were out in only a couple of minutes....I think the first day of "school" so far has worn them out.  We are doing some "exercise" after nap, and then a bit of work with numbers after that!  All in all, it has been a good first day.

And it made me realize I made the right choice to home school.  They had an absolute blast, and doing little 10-15 minute activities/lessons with play time or snacks in between worked perfectly.  DS actually sat still for about 10 minutes, which for him is a major achievement, I was VERY proud!

I still can't believe they are 3, and starting this...why do kids grow so fast?? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

what a perfect start to homeschooling!  sounds like it just kinda flowed, lots of play, lots of learning(in a fun way) good job kat!!!!

Brandy85412
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Sounds great!

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It worked out very well....I'm sure we'll play with schedule and daily lists of things to do as time goes on, but we're off to a good start!

Quoting oredeb:

what a perfect start to homeschooling!  sounds like it just kinda flowed, lots of play, lots of learning(in a fun way) good job kat!!!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM
How fun! I'm glad you had a great first day!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM

That sounds like lots of fun.

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I can't believe my dd is 3 and starting her first year of preschool too...we do about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the morning....some days she wants to sit straight through because shes having so much fun...other days she does one thing then takes a break then does more....were in our second week and we do 2 letters a week,1 number a day, 5 sight words per week, patterns, and addition right now. She's my little learner and shes loving it I just make sure theres alot of games or crafts built into the lessons she likes worksheets when she can color it at the end so that helps with getting her to want to wrtie her letters and numbers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN