Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Took sons to eye doctor.... :-(

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 23 Replies

Took my boys to the eye doctor because my oldest is getting closer and closer to the books he's reading.  Yes, he most likely needs glasses, they want to see him again for the optometrist to see him.  (we only saw an optician?) 

Then the REALLY bad news, they want the optometrist to see my youngest as well.  They think he's colorblind.  Well, no wonder he can't tell me his colors yet!!  They think it's deuteranopia.  Yes, I made them write it down.

So now what?  Anybody have any experience with this?

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tesserae
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Not that, no. But all 3 of mine are in glasses. My 10 yr old has amblyopia where one eye was pretty much so weak that it was useless. We had to do aggressive patch therapy (like a pirate!) for a year to strengthen the eye. It's scary to know something is wrong with your babies.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Tesserae:

Not that, no. But all 3 of mine are in glasses. My 10 yr old has amblyopia where one eye was pretty much so weak that it was useless. We had to do aggressive patch therapy (like a pirate!) for a year to strengthen the eye. It's scary to know something is wrong with your babies.

I had expected glasses, dh and I both wear glasses.  I figure the oldest has cross dominant myopia just like I do.  I knew that colorblindness ran in dh's family, but it had seemed as though we had dodged the bullet with the first 2 (absolutely no problems). 

My nephew wore the patch for a while.  Now he can wear glasses like everyone else in the family!  Boy was he mad about the patch though!  yikes!

Tesserae
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, poor little Noah didn't like the patch either. We bought him all the cool patterned ones and even blank ones for his classmates to decotrate. It's a difficult thing for kids to go through in school and in general.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Tesserae:

I had expected glasses, dh and I both wear glasses.  I figure the oldest has cross dominant myopia just like I do.  I knew that colorblindness ran in dh's family, but it had seemed as though we had dodged the bullet with the first 2 (absolutely no problems). 

My nephew wore the patch for a while.  Now he can wear glasses like everyone else in the family!  Boy was he mad about the patch though!  yikes!

Averys_mom87
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM

No color blindness but according to the optician my son has myopia in the left eye . It is at -1.50 and has astigmatism of +2.00 in the right. She said the balance each other out so he does not need glasses.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Quoting Averys_mom87:

No color blindness but according to the optician my son has myopia in the left eye . It is at -1.50 and has astigmatism of +2.00 in the right. She said the balance each other out so he does not need glasses.

Wow!  That's cool.  Glasses at a young age stinks!  He's so lucky!

mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM
My brother is colorblind. Thankfully none of my boys have it so I'm fairly certain I'm not a carrier (my mom is). We always call him color confused because the spectrum is just plain messed up for him.

My grandfather was colorblind but nobody knew! He hid it very well nd it wasn't until one day when he made a very odd clothing choice his kids figured it out, lol.

When we were kids I would hand him the color pencil he'd ask for until he figured it all out. For instance, he knew on a map he was supposed to color the water blue but he couldn't pick out the blue pencil.

Almost all of his clothes were one color in high school, so he didn't have to worry about matching. Lots of funny stories growing up with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablessedlife
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM
I am colour deficient and, therefore all of my sons are also. The funny tho g is that our optometrist says that women "cannot be colour blind.". Wrong! Females have two X chromosomes and there for if one is weak, the other can make up for it. But what if she has two weak X's? That is why every son I ever have will receive a weak X from me and be colour deficient.

Anyways, I do not find my colour blindness to be debilitating. Some cases are worse than mine though.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Quoting mynameismuerte:

My brother is colorblind. Thankfully none of my boys have it so I'm fairly certain I'm not a carrier (my mom is). We always call him color confused because the spectrum is just plain messed up for him.

My grandfather was colorblind but nobody knew! He hid it very well nd it wasn't until one day when he made a very odd clothing choice his kids figured it out, lol.

When we were kids I would hand him the color pencil he'd ask for until he figured it all out. For instance, he knew on a map he was supposed to color the water blue but he couldn't pick out the blue pencil.

Almost all of his clothes were one color in high school, so he didn't have to worry about matching. Lots of funny stories growing up with him.

DH's cousin only sees in shades of gray.  No one really noticed with him until he pointed to a B&W photo and asked who the lady in the red hat was.  After a bit of investigation, they found out that the hat really was red. 

It's teaching the colors that concerns me.  I know that the kindergarten curriculum is very big on color recognition and color mastery.  That's where I noticed issues.  If I hold up a block and ask him to bring me another that is the same color, he cannot do it.  But it was very obvious with the test he took in the office this morning.  With the purple vs. red dots he could tell exactly what shape was hidden in the dots, but almost all the others he had no clue!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Quoting ablessedlife:

I am colour deficient and, therefore all of my sons are also. The funny tho g is that our optometrist says that women "cannot be colour blind.". Wrong! Females have two X chromosomes and there for if one is weak, the other can make up for it. But what if she has two weak X's? That is why every son I ever have will receive a weak X from me and be colour deficient.

Anyways, I do not find my colour blindness to be debilitating. Some cases are worse than mine though.

How do you teach colors to your sons?  Can they pick out colors?  Is it a big deal at all?

This looked pretty bad, he only got a few right answers.  Most of the time he said he couldn't see the shapes (hidden in the dots) they were obvious to me, but I gave an online one to dh and he couldn't pick the shapes out either.

ablessedlife
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I fail at those shape tests. I teach the boys colours the same way as anyone. I think the deficiency is subtle and only presents itself when the colours are muddled or subtle themselves.

You son did not get his colour blindness from his dad. He got it from you. You are a carrier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)