Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling, child easily distracted. Any advice?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hi I just started homeschooling my 5 year old son. During school time we turn off the tv, radio, phone - anything that could be a distraction. He really seems to have a hard time focusing tho. It is just me and him at home, there are no other children or anything to add to this. An example is we were doing a work book that said "circle the red shirts like Johnny has on" and it had a pictur of a boy in a red shirt. He started talking about what if the boy was named Edward not Johnny and why does he have a red shirt and on and on.....completely getting off from what was asked of him. Is there anything I can do to help him focus more and stay on task?
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I would turn the questions back for a while.  Why do you think he's wearing a red shirt?  Why are you named ________?  When he is completely questioned out (it may take a LOT of time) ask him to do what it says in the directions again.  Make it clear that no matter how much time it takes to get through it, he will still be doing what is asked of him in the instructions. 

Michele87
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
What a great idea! I will defiantly try that on our next lesson! Thanks :)
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

yea what blue said! make it more active!  and short lessons till he gets going

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Turn on the radio and let him do his work standing at the table, or sitting on an exercise ball. My DD is ADD-Inattentive. She's not particularly hyperactive, but one of her best years at ps was the year the teacher let her stand at her desk instead of sit. She doodles on most of her papers, but as long as she gets the information, she's welcome to draw what she likes. My DS, who actually isn't ADD, likes to play with a squeezy-ball while he works.

There's no rule that says schoolwork must be done sitting at a desk or table in silence. To this day, DD can't concentrate if there's no noise and she can't concentrate with "soothing" music.

Pay attention, also, to when he seems most receptive to learning. DD is an afternoon/evening person, while DS does just fine in the mornings.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I see worksheets as just busy work to waist a kids time & are only good if you have a kid that just loves doing them for the heck of it. Take the things that you want him to learn & find a way to make it fun for him if it is fun the distractions wont be as much as if he is board.

TeaHound
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Maybe he needs shorter lessons more rimes a day? I went to public school and private school; we didn't do one subject for more than 45 min and that was upper grades. I taught preschool & they asked us not to let the children do the same thing for more than 15 min for 3 yo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Many kids (boys especially) are not ready for sit down work at that age.  Just keep it fun :-)

Michele87
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Great advice! We are doing short lessons with lots of breaks now - its literally taking all day to get thru lessons. But that's ok with me, and seems to work best for him. I haven't considered that he may be a child who works better with background music etc perhaps I am making it too quiet and too serious. I also agree that some of the worksheets seem a little unneeded but I'm trying to do all the ciriculum until I figure out how to adjust things to my child better - I'm still learning a lot! Thanks for all the advice and helpful ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Where I teach we aren't allowed to use worksheets,we have to do what is called "Creative Learning" in other words we have to have the children engaged in the learning process.  

For example your son was aking "what if the boys name was____________? " Go with that and ask him "What is boy was a girl with a __________ shirt on?" this is learning he is developing his critical thinking skills, which is a skill that will help him through life. This also opens the door to other learning activities such as learning colors and you could turn it into a math lesson, by making list and seeing how many names you can come up with.

The possiblities are endless

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM

usmom3 is absolutely right  for 38% of the population (hands on learners).  For them fun and "not a waste of time" means being physically involved in the learning process.  It is known as Total Physical Response, and has been studied for over 30 years.  Research shows children learn faster, retain more, and retain their love of learning (drop out rates decrease by 90%) when using Total Physical Response. 

Quoting usmom3:

I see worksheets as just busy work to waist a kids time & are only good if you have a kid that just loves doing them for the heck of it. Take the things that you want him to learn & find a way to make it fun for him if it is fun the distractions wont be as much as if he is board.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)