Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling, child easily distracted. Any advice?

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi I just started homeschooling my 5 year old son. During school time we turn off the tv, radio, phone - anything that could be a distraction. He really seems to have a hard time focusing tho. It is just me and him at home, there are no other children or anything to add to this. An example is we were doing a work book that said "circle the red shirts like Johnny has on" and it had a pictur of a boy in a red shirt. He started talking about what if the boy was named Edward not Johnny and why does he have a red shirt and on and on.....completely getting off from what was asked of him. Is there anything I can do to help him focus more and stay on task?
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (11-13):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Aug. 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Lots of great suggestions. Sounds like hes a busy little man :) Have you tried taking him outside for school work? Begin by talking about the photo, what does he think what should he be named, what do you think he likes to do then get into the task.

what curriculum are you using?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Turn on the radio and let him do his work standing at the table, or sitting on an exercise ball. My DD is ADD-Inattentive. She's not particularly hyperactive, but one of her best years at ps was the year the teacher let her stand at her desk instead of sit. She doodles on most of her papers, but as long as she gets the information, she's welcome to draw what she likes. My DS, who actually isn't ADD, likes to play with a squeezy-ball while he works.

There's no rule that says schoolwork must be done sitting at a desk or table in silence. To this day, DD can't concentrate if there's no noise and she can't concentrate with "soothing" music.

Pay attention, also, to when he seems most receptive to learning. DD is an afternoon/evening person, while DS does just fine in the mornings.

I second the workout ball.

Also, he might need something more interactive and exciting that worksheets. My kids hate worksheets. Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting usmom3:

I see worksheets as just busy work to waist a kids time & are only good if you have a kid that just loves doing them for the heck of it. Take the things that you want him to learn & find a way to make it fun for him if it is fun the distractions wont be as much as if he is board.

I have to agree with usmom3.  My son is 6 and we just started doing some sit down work but only for a short time.   At 5 years old my son just wasn't ready to sit and do work, so we took an extra year off and basically unschooled him.  Now at 6 he seems like he is more ready so we've started slowly since he's showing interest.   Taking the year off and spending it exploring and playing did nothing but good for him - I'm shocked at what he has learned, and am estimating he will be doing first grade work by Christmas time.  He is even reading some already with not formal lessons, just because of him asking questions out of curiosity and us having conversations about those things.  At that age (and especially boys), they are so curious and interested in life, and LOVE learning.  Why take away that love by making them sit and do worksheets?  and you can hear that curiosity just from him asking all the questions about it.  Whatever the worksheet was about (was it for the color red?), he can learn that so easily without being forced to sit.  Not saying that you forced him - my 4 year old LOVES worksheets and I actually bought several preK workbooks to leave in the art/coloring table at our house for her to do when she wants.  If your son isn't showing interest in doing table work, I would come up with other fun activities that are hands on.  Right now he is a little sponge - enjoy it while it lasts and make it as fun as possible for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)