Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First time mom, wanting to home school.

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hello Ladies!!

I am new to this website and new to homeschooling. My son is only 19 months old but have been debating for months now on how to start his education. I want to enroll him in a part time learning center, as I am a stay at home mom, to jump start his learning. I have also been wanting to look into homeschooling him when the time comes. I have met a handful of homeschooled students and their amount of knowledge and intellect is beyond my expectation! I would very much love to get into that with my son but have no idea where to start!

Where do I get the cirruculiam?
How do I become, I guess certified to teach him?
Etc!!

Also for those who are homeschooling, how do you deal with the fact that your child won't have dances, prom, school activies and etc?

Thanks ahead in advice. Any information is helpful.
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Where do I get the cirruculiam?  You can buy curriculum or make your own.  There are lots of curriculum posts on here. If you need more help let me know.  I am currently teaching a 2 year old, 3 year old, 5 year old and 6 year old.  They are all mine.
How do I become, I guess certified to teach him?  You dont have to be come certified.  I am getting my degree in early childhood education because I want to.  But you dont have to have that if you dont want to.  In some states you will need a highschool diploma or GED, but not all.

Also for those who are homeschooling, how do you deal with the fact that your child won't have dances, prom, school activies and etc?  If you want those things you can have them.  There are co-ops and homeschool sports teams in most areas. So if you want them they are there.  I really dont care if my kids have them.  If they want them I will provide them for them.  It is that easy.

For your child you can start homeschooling informally now.  My 2 year old joins us in the class room and did last year too.  Her birthday is at the end of April. 

Last year she joined us for circle time where we sang the days of the week, talked about the weather, sang songs and played.  She had old workbooks and coloring books so she could "do" school too.  When we went to the park we talked about the ducks, turtles, trees and people we saw along the way.  She now knows some of her colors, her basic shapes and can count to 5 from play, and playing school while her older sisters did school.  My 3 year old did all those things last year also.

When he is ready for first grade you will have to fill out forms for the state you are in to state that you are homeschooling.  Depending on the state you may need more than other states.

tinkerspell
by Kera on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Not the poster but that was very informitive

Quoting debramommyof4:

Where do I get the cirruculiam?  You can buy curriculum or make your own.  There are lots of curriculum posts on here. If you need more help let me know.  I am currently teaching a 2 year old, 3 year old, 5 year old and 6 year old.  They are all mine.
How do I become, I guess certified to teach him?  You dont have to be come certified.  I am getting my degree in early childhood education because I want to.  But you dont have to have that if you dont want to.  In some states you will need a highschool diploma or GED, but not all.

Also for those who are homeschooling, how do you deal with the fact that your child won't have dances, prom, school activies and etc?  If you want those things you can have them.  There are co-ops and homeschool sports teams in most areas. So if you want them they are there.  I really dont care if my kids have them.  If they want them I will provide them for them.  It is that easy.

For your child you can start homeschooling informally now.  My 2 year old joins us in the class room and did last year too.  Her birthday is at the end of April. 

Last year she joined us for circle time where we sang the days of the week, talked about the weather, sang songs and played.  She had old workbooks and coloring books so she could "do" school too.  When we went to the park we talked about the ducks, turtles, trees and people we saw along the way.  She now knows some of her colors, her basic shapes and can count to 5 from play, and playing school while her older sisters did school.  My 3 year old did all those things last year also.

When he is ready for first grade you will have to fill out forms for the state you are in to state that you are homeschooling.  Depending on the state you may need more than other states.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I am glad I could be of help.  I didnt really know what I was getting myself into when I started. I found out most of this from looking up lots of information.  So if I can help someone else like I was helped I am always glad to.

Quoting tinkerspell:

Not the poster but that was very informitive

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

You don't need to be certified to teach your child.  You've been teaching since birth!  How to crawl and walk and talk, you simply extend that.  There are curicula everywhere and you don't really need one for a long while yet.  For this age you just want to keep learning fun and child-led. 

As for the proms and sports, they are out there.  What state are you from?  In Pennsylvania the local school has to allow you into any activity that your co-op doesn't offer.  So a few of our older homeschool kids at our church will be attending the prom this year.  A few of them are on the football team and cheerleading as well.  We do the local soccer teams and they've shown an interest in little league for next spring.  We also swim at the Y, there are yoga classes at a local rec center.  There's a lot for hs kids to do!

Good luck!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM
First, let me welcome you to the group!

I make my own curriculum. Most HS parents are not certified teachers, especially since much of a teachers certification is about handling a classroom setting. Most of us feel that if we are qualified to teach them to tie their shoes, eat, be respectful, speak, etc. then we can teach them to read. Case in point, even those in the educational system admit kids learn much better with more parental involvement.

Finally. I do not see my kids missing anything. There are HS associations, groups, co-op, etc. we have a HS Formal (like prom) every year for teenagers, in my area. Kids can sometimes still do sports with schools, but I prefer doing it through the town parc & rec. my kids do co-ops once/week. They have very close friends, they had 25 kids at their last b-day party - none we're cousins, only 3 were were public schoolers.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Dcn2010
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for all the info ladies! I'm even more excited to find local organizations, and sports for my son. I live in Texas so I'll have to look into when I will have to tell the state that I am homeschooling. Thanks again ladies!!
Dcn2010
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM
/What state are you from?  I'm from Texas =))
lightningshadow
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

You can make your own curriculum or buy your own.  Amazon, Ebay, homeschool co-ops, other homeschooling moms.

Certification: Check your state laws.  You may need a tutor or professional teacher to administer the state tests that you may be forced to do (unless you can do a portfolio) that will be assessed by someone.  I'm not aware of states requiring parents to be certified in teaching in order to teach but you can go to the HLSDA to find out your homeschool laws.  Now if you're in a country other than the USA, Canada, New Zealand.... (like Europe or Asia) it seems home schooling is illegal in most countries, or has virtually zero homeschooling and is very strict.

You can do field trips by yourself or maybe joining a co-op where they do field-trips, prom, etc.  YMCA should have homeschool PE and homeschool Swimming so there's your physical social education.  Playdates for younger kids for social interaction.  Check with your local school to see if your kids can participate in sports with the local schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)