Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

You're not missing anything...

Posted by   + Show Post

Unfortunately ds7 had to go to a private school this year because I have to finish clinicals and can't afford a sitter, and I'm homeschooling ds6 which is like the equivalent of 10 kids.  It's only day 7 and I'm already sick of it.  The school is actually really good but I can't stand all the homework they get!  I picked him up at 3 and with the amount of homework he has, he will have time for a short break then spend the rest of the night doing homework and reading.  Reading, 1 math sheet, 1 language arts sheet and 2 cursive handwriting sheets.  WHAT is the POINT of school if you aren't going to do all the teaching there?!?!?!?!  

frustrated

On that note - if someone would like to donate money so I can send him to a sitter, please do.  ;) wink

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Replies (11-14):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM
this is EXACTLY why we started homeschooling! I was taking 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day to reteach DS and do homework that I pulled him.

The first two years, 1st and 2nd grades, DS never took more than 2 hours to get school done.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Boobah:

Seriously, in the time it takes to do all the homework, you're spending the same amount of time as if you were homeschooling.

Lol, that's what I was gonna say!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I was just telling my husband this last night!  The time it took for him to do all his homework was the same amount of time we would spend on his whole homeschooling day last year.  Ugh....

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

this is EXACTLY why we started homeschooling! I was taking 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day to reteach DS and do homework that I pulled him.

The first two years, 1st and 2nd grades, DS never took more than 2 hours to get school done.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Boobah:

Seriously, in the time it takes to do all the homework, you're spending the same amount of time as if you were homeschooling.

Lol, that's what I was gonna say!

lucsch
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Oh, I get it. I knew that. I have four kids, and one graduated from private school, another from public school, and a third will gradute this year. I cannot wait to get rid of the schools.

I've been homeschooling my dd9 for 5 years, and it is WAY EASIER than putting up with the homework and expectations from the schools. I think it is so hard to help a schooled child with his homework. You don't know how they taught them the math, you need to find odd items for projects (always at the last minute--I'll never forget the time one of my sons told me he had to have a potato for a project ten minutes before we left for school), the instructions are never on the paper, etc. Hours of work for the parent! I could homeschool in that amount of time.

My senior is pretty independent, of course, with his homework. But, the school is always asking for money, doing fund raisers, charging fees, etc. Where my property taxes go, I'll never know; but apparently it isn't enough to cover books ($250 book rental fees) or to pay to insure the required iPads my son needs this year ($30).  Next week, there be something else they will need the money to cover.

Don't let anyone tell you that public school is easier, cheaper, etc.

If you lived close by, I'd help you out! Are there some other homeschooler moms that maybe could take him for one day per week to help? One day per week for 5 moms shouldn't overload anyone.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

*hugs* I wish you could take him out and trade sitter duties with a friend. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)