Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Arkansas State mandated testing for homeschoolers.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

Okay I know that grades 3-9 have to take this test yearly (well during that grade time frame) but I dont really understand what this test is for and if it can be used against you???  I mean my daughter is on track for her grade level (which is 2nd grade) but even after spending hours on the websites I still dont get what it is about.  Please someone with some knowledge on this let me know.  Thank you so much.

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM

If you call your State Home School Association, they are usually most helpful in this respect.  They can also connect you with other home educators in your state for information and support.   The phone number for Arkansas's Home School Association is: (501) 978-5503 (Education Alliance)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not in Alabama but those tests are usually pretty easy. The state wants it's PS students to look good, so the tests they mandate aren't going to be very hard. LOL

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

bump!

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

http://www.arhomeschooltesting.org/default.asp?category=2&title=Home_School_Law

This is a general run-down of the law. It says there are no penalties for those who do poorly on the test, but there will be problems if you don't do the test. It's the Iowa Test of Basic Skills that the children will be tested on.

taylamill
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. That's pretty much what I was wondering and for some reason I could never find the answer online. Maybe i was just looking in the wrong place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fusgeyer
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It is a state mandated test but it means nothing. If you take the free state testing at a local site then the results are only tabulated on a general basis but there is no penalty for a poor score. If you pay for a test in order to test privately no one other than you and the testing company sees the scores. It really is pointless, but it is required. If you fail to test your kids, they will give you a second chance before coming after you for truancy. Keep on top of home school happenings in Arkansas at http://www.arkansashomeschoolers.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN