Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Second grader & math, please help me!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 7yr old is very bright. She does excellent in most all of her subjects, especially reading. With math she has a bit of a hard time, we are doing basic addition & subtraction like 15+4 or 16-8 & I have repeated how to do this at least 500 times since starting it last year. She will be doing fine with it but then forgets it again a few weeks later if we haven't practice it for a couple weeks, the real problem is when we do addition & subtraction problems togethershe will use her subtraction method on her addition problems & then vice versa or try & ask me on each individual problem how to do it again. She also goofs off when trying to get her to do math or stares off into space or complains about it not being fun. I'm not exactly sure how to make it more fun for her or get her to care enough to pay attention but my patience is starting to run a little thin with constantly explaining how to do this again & again & again every single problem...If anyone has been through this PLEASE help me!

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Well I always hated math becuase I couldnt get it, finally I had to use math in a way that made sinse like cooking or shopping. I love both so I use both as the equation. I have 15 hair ties and I bought 5 more so I have 20 now. You can use a visual aide. I loved veing able see it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixydustmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Try word problems. My daughter loves animals, so all of her word problems are animal based "If you have 12 chickens in the barnyard and 3 chickens in your bed, how many chickens do you have all together?" or "If you have 13puppies and 5 go outside to swin, how many are left inside?"

Also, at her age she needs to go no more than 2 days without doing math, that means that if you have off for a Monday holiday, you need to throw some problems in, prefferably not on paper for days off. Try fridge magnets or things like beads, dry beans, spoons, Barbie dolls, whatever.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm  My boy loves the fruit shoot because it squishes!~

http://www.abcya.com/second_grade_computers.htm  There are a couple math facts games, math facts shoot out and mathman (like pac man)

http://www.fun4thebrain.com/addition.html  my younger son (5) likes these games.

Also there are games for addition on the Leapster if you have one. 
Jedi Math and I think Scooby Doo

oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

yes games!! looks like some good ones!

maybe she needs to learn her facts better, i did this with my reluctant math kids,

theres also the concentration game, using index cards, write two math facts that equal each other(example 2+3 and 3+2, you can do subtraction also or times etc) on each card, you can use as index cards as you like, then shuffle them up and lay them out turned so you cant see the facts. then take turns turning them over 1 by 1 trying to find a match, when she has a match she keeps the cards and who ever wins gets a prize!

also when you show her how to do them do you write it out on paper? in line so she can see, have you ever used writing paper turned side ways? it keeps everything in line(it helped my girls)

lucsch
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM

It sounds like she doesn't understand math. Now, I'm usually shot down because I'm a big believer in memorizing the facts; however,  they have to be first developmentally ready for math and also have an idea what it MEANS when they are adding or subtracting. Try using some hands-on manipulatives to demonstrate the problems. R&S 1 used ducks and a pond, for instance. I bought some little finger puppet ducks from Oriental Trading and used those and cut out a blue construction paper pond and put it on a bigger green sheet of paper. We would talk about the number of ducks in the pond, the number of ducks out of the pond on the grass, and the total number altogether. Moving the ducks from the pond to the grass would show subtraction. Adding more ducks would show addition.

They also taught the facts as triplets, like 14, 8, 6 could stand for 8+6=14, 6+8=14, 14-8=6, and 14-6=8.  Triangular flashcards are available to help learn them.

I always recommend CLE as a great math curriculum, too. That's what we use now. We finished R&S 1 and 2 then moved into CLE200 (it is a little more advanced than R&S, about 1/2 year).

Hatred4none
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I was more of a plug n play person when it comes to math, It was easy memorization , but I didn't actually get it until I studied analytical math in Univ and the way they proved basic math and algebra was elementary. At that time I wished that they used this method in school for younger kids as they would understand it better. If you just give a child a formula to fill, most children forget or mix it up, but if you explain the what and why it'll stay with them forever.
Use whatever works and never memorize. And if you come across a problem that you need help with then pick up a book about mathematical analysis, math is easier than it seems.
avonleajules1
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM

We do addition or subtraction "war" with playing cards. Each put down two and whoever has the largest sum wins the two cards. Continue on as with regular war. 

Mellissa1990
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I sounds like she needs to use some manipulatives (separate the 14 in to a group of 10 and 4 singles).  I like the concentration game explained above.

lightningshadow
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Try Math Blaster!  I remember playing that in elementary school on CD-ROM.   I think that was the only time I actually enjoyed math.  It happens to be my weakest subject and I hate it.  Try math games with her or word problems with something she likes as the focal point.  And try not to leave off practicing math for a long time either.

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Go to pinterest and type in math games in the search. Then, click on boards underneath that search box. There are many, many people who have entire boards full of math games. I'm sure you'll find something that will help, and she'll hopefully decide that math is fun in the process.

http://pinterest.com/search/boards/?q=math+games

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)