Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

GREAT way to help teach spanish at ANY age!! :)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

My cousin, who speaks several foreign languages, is coming by once a week to teach my girls Spanish....for FUN!! How cool is THAT!?  She brought these familiar kids books in Spanish :) They had a great time and really picked up a LOT!

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

what a great idea!!!

momof030404
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

It really worked great! They heard the words being used in real time in a real way but were able to figure out what they said because of context clues AND already knowing the words! :D

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM
That is great. My husband is from Mexico, so our girls are learning Spanish from him. Spanish is is second language though. His first language is an indigenous language, but he doesn't speak it well anymore because he hasn't spoke it in almost 10 years (except for the occasional call to his parents).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

That's definitely the best way to do it. My mom is originally from Honduras. She lives with us now and she's taken over teaching DD high school Spanish 3. I could do it, but she offered to take it off my plate. Woohoo!

melindabelcher
by Mel on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

So lucky!!!

DH used to speak spanish fluently as he is puerto rican and used to live with his spanish speaking family in the summer. But its been over 15years without consistent use so we're looking for a curriculum to kind of use and learn together as we go along.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I'd love getting some Dr. Suess in Spanish.

mommy242012
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM
I know I am.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I'd love getting some Dr. Suess in Spanish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof030404
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

She said you can get them anywhere! I am going to get some copies too!!

snakesNsnails
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

thats great!!  my dh is hispanic and speaks spanish fluently..he speaks it for his job as an interpreter and a cop but he doesnt speak it much in our home, so our children dont speak much spanish, but i do get children's books from the library in spanish..they have a huge selection where we are, in texas..  anyway, im glad that your children enjoyed their lessons and the books!!

momof030404
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting snakesNsnails:

thats great!!  my dh is hispanic and speaks spanish fluently..he speaks it for his job as an interpreter and a cop but he doesnt speak it much in our home, so our children dont speak much spanish, but i do get children's books from the library in spanish..they have a huge selection where we are, in texas..  anyway, im glad that your children enjoyed their lessons and the books!!

We live in AL LOL....our on shelf selection of books in spanish are pretty small! That's great that yall have a good one! I had no idea that these were this easy to get!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)