Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Nasty Neighbor?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 17 Replies
We have neighbor. He doesn't really live near us, but this is a private community and we see him at the pond or walking his dog. He is an older guy, very well off, and seemingly nice. My kids really like him...and the dog. But he is constantly, and maybe not even consciously, dissing my kids...in front of them!!!!

Both my kids have always had high voices. DS(5)'s voice is getting much lower but DD(4)'s is still pretty high. Today, DD told the neighbor that she was now riding horses and he said to me "can the horse understand her"? Not 5 minutes later, the neighbor was talking to DS and he copied something DS said, lisp like and half laughing., and then asked me if the lisp was new!!!! DS doesn't even lisp much. Fast forward 10 minutes and the neighbor asked DS if he was finally starting school this year. Mind you, he has been told many time that we homeschool. Am I wrong to be upset? I really want to avoid him now, but that seems petty to me. Thought?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I would say something to him about how he needs to remember the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" line!

Alyson121
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM

If someone is mocking my children and making jokes at my family's expense, they get the SEVERE "evil eye" and what i call the "straight face" look.  And i typically follow that with SILENCE.  Why? Because i'm not sure that i could respond without being "typical TV Black girl" and twisting my neck while i'm talking.  People typically get the message.  

And no i don't think you're being petty at all.  

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I would avoid. I hate confrontation, but if I wanted to say something,  I would tell him that I do not appreciate the way you are talking to and about my kids.  I find it to be unkind.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You are NOT being petty.  I would try your best to avoid him, but don't reschedule your life.  When you run in to him again, I would say something like "I'm really trying to teach my children to be respectful of others and their differences, it's really unfortunate that some adults haven't learned that yet."  When you are home with your kids I would use the incident as a teaching tool with your kids letting them know that the man's behavior is not OK.

oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM

i would avoid him

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, he sounds vaguely annoying, but in the harmless old man kind of way. My own grandfather can't seem to remember that we keep the kids at home and he is constantly saying to them, "What are you saying?" LOL The kdis just keep on going, you know?

Does it bug the kids?

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I would certainly avoid someone like that!

lightningshadow
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I'd avoid him.

brandie1470
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
If he is really old, are you sure there isn't something wrong with him?
BramblePatch
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
He and my dad went steelhead fishing this Spring and my dad said he seemed fine. I have been thinking on this all night and I am sad to say, he may just feel superior. He and his wife are a bit snobbish...and we are fairly down to earth. (their three cars and two Harleys cost more than my house, lol)...so maybe its his nature to be this way and I never noticed it.

The kids probably would not have paid attention if I hadn't felt the need to defend them, extending the conversationsn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)