Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thoughts for next Tuesday

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

We use CAVA for my 5 and 6 year olds and I straight homeschool my 2 and 3 year old. But this post is for my 6 year old.

We have to let the teacher test my 6 year old to see if she can move up to 2nd grade math.  We finished K12's first grade curriculum in 4 months last year.  So I am asking that you lady's pray or send well wishes that she is feeling great and able to concentrate when the teacher tests her.  If not she is going to be so disappointed.  She really wants to move on in math.  It is literally all she has talked about all summer.  She was so excited but when we switched schools they said they had to test her and she got really mad and disappointed.

I have to talk to the teacher because a lot of the rules I am reading, like only using k12 materials and having to each on only school days was not on our paper work last year at the smaller school.  If that is the case then I am saving up for the curriculum I want next year.  Unfortunately it isnt cheap, though I know I could probably do it cheaper, I am afraid to leave already built curriculum.  I want Sonlight for most things but Saxon for math.  I am still going to teach my own way though. 

The teachers probably not going to like it but our life is a school room for the most part.  We watch documentaries and the babies watch Nick Jr., sometimes PBS.   We learn about our pets and how they would be or were in the past in the wild.  We talk about and research things we see on walks and trips.  We go to mueseums and aquariums and different places.  Everything we do is about enriching our knoweledge and having fun together at the same time.  So I know we cant stick to one curriculum.

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I'm praying for you. The idea that you can only teach on "school days" seems very silly to me. Hope that everything turns out ok with you daughter. Let us know:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Sending prayers and good thoughts!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I would struggle to follow that type of teaching in the lower grades.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Thank you all.  I am hoping I miss understood.  I chose to do k12 so I would have support and flexibility.  If I cant then I really dont want it.  My  husband and I talked last night and besides going it on our own we dont know what else to do.  If k12 is like that I am afraid to use any of the charter homeschools and have them be the same way so, we would have no choice but to do it alone.  Which is scary, but I would do anything to get the appropriate education for them.  Right now they are little sponges and are so smart I am afraid to stop teaching and giving them what they asked for.

oredeb
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

will be praying debra, if you go it alone, it will be ok, you'll get use to it, time changes things!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Quoting oredeb:

will be praying debra, if you go it alone, it will be ok, you'll get use to it, time changes things!

Thank you.  We are in Cali, so from what I have read it should be fairly easy to homeschool on our own.  I just really dont want to miss something. That is my biggest fear, since I dont understand the state standards to ensure that I give them everything they need to know.  But talking to all of you has helped me see that I can do it.  It just may take a bit of work on my part.

oredeb
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

an idea, if you go on your own find a scope and sequence to help you stay on track, i know calif use to have them, and they would send them to you.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting oredeb:

an idea, if you go on your own find a scope and sequence to help you stay on track, i know calif use to have them, and they would send them to you.

Thanks I will.

VeroKarr
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Praying for you and your family for tge highest good!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I pray that everything works out for the best.  I wonder about k12, I don't understand why some of the "local" schools work with you and others don't.  Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)