Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

second graders?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son will be in second grade this year and I was wondering what do you guys do for second grade?
Do you treat your son/daughter much older? Or the same silly poems and games go? Sometimes I feel I may keep my son to young like with silly things you know? How does ur second grader act?
Thanks for the help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

i didnt treat mine any different! we did same stuff!ahahah had fun! they grow up so fast!

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Ds is going into second. I think there needs to be a balance and you have to do what works best for your child. I know my ds needs structure, a set schedule, and to know exactly what he has to do. I do plan on doing field trips, gym (outside), cool science projects, and different art things to keep him entertained.

sourflower
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I do sllly things wih my second grader because she is young, LOL! DD is very mature acting though, she loves to play & be silly but she acts very serious a lot too. She gets it from me though, she's an old lady in a lil girl's body. :)

superwoman0105
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I have a second grader this year and I have learned that I have to feel him out.  He will be silly at certain times and serious at other times.  He will tell me "Mom please, that's for babies" about Barney but he loves to watch "The Wiggles" with his younger brother.  I guess it just depends on the child.  We are doing K12 for school and that entails alot of focus for certain subjects and silly time for others so it works for us.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I have a second grader.  Personally I'm raising him the way that I was raised, so I slowly give him more responsibility and more choices.  At this point he chooses what classes he does when, where his desk is and where he sits (or stands or lays) to do his work, if he wants to do an activity or not (sometimes he's in the mood for a silly game and sometimes he'd rather just get down to brass tacks), and he has the list of things that needs to be accomplished for the day so it's his responsibility. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

This is so my Cole. LOL

Quoting superwoman0105:

I have a second grader this year and I have learned that I have to feel him out.  He will be silly at certain times and serious at other times.  He will tell me "Mom please, that's for babies" about Barney but he loves to watch "The Wiggles" with his younger brother.  I guess it just depends on the child.  We are doing K12 for school and that entails alot of focus for certain subjects and silly time for others so it works for us.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I just finished second grade with DS8 last year. We didn't treat him any different. If your child wants to be treated more "grown up" by all means, do so, but if he doesn't, then just let him be. 

mommytobooger
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

thank you for all the responses. yes, he is the same sometimes he says "thats for babies" and then sometimes he acts so silly. so i just wasnt sure, but i will let him be him, and if i act to babish i'm sure he will let me know! :)

thank you again.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The best thing about you being a homeschooling family is you get to do what is best for you and your child(ren)!  Sometimes its silly and sometimes its not.  You have the next 10 years to get your child ready for "whatever" he/she is getting ready for. Make the most of this wonderful opportunity with your kids. You and they will be glad you did.  :)  

undefined

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

yeps

Quoting kirbymom:

The best thing about you being a homeschooling family is you get to do what is best for you and your child(ren)!  Sometimes its silly and sometimes its not.  You have the next 10 years to get your child ready for "whatever" he/she is getting ready for. Make the most of this wonderful opportunity with your kids. You and they will be glad you did.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN