Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Regrets... Re: One less homeschooler

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 15 Replies

DS is hating high school. He failed their geometry readiness test because he doesnt test well. He only missed it by a few percentage points, 3 I think he said, and they refused to work with him. I asked if he could review and retake it in a week and they denied him.

The classes are SS boring and he has to get up at 6am and then of course, be in bed by 9pm. He doesn't have time to hang out and do the things HE wants to do.

I really had to fight and bend over backward to get him into the high school. I spent several months trying to talk him out of it and encouraging him to stay in the Charter school we have been using.In the end, I enrolled him to make him happy and now that he's there...he hates it.

So now... what do I do? I know my family (ugg...) and even DH... were happy that he was going back to public school but he is MISERABLE. I told DS that HE needs to talk to his dad and tell him why he wants to change back and explain it. He can NOT go back into the same high school if I remove him. this is his one nad only chance there and our "zone" school is HORRIBLE. I will NOT allow him to go there.

We will not even go into how awful it is for me - to get up and drive him 6 miles each way to school and back...that's 24 miles a day = 1 gallon of gas per day is over $80 in gas a month. Then $10 a week in lunch money.

It takes me over an hour to pick him up in the afternoons. I have to get there about 30 min before the bell rings to get a half-way decent (aka less than a 1/4 mile away) parking spot, and then it takes 15 minutes to get out of the area due to traffic!

I want him to go back to the Charter school, DS wants to, now I have to get DH on the same page. my parents will deal with whatever we choose. My Dad was even telling me today how he knows DS is really not happy in high school.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM

I'm sorry it didn't work out for him... Why won't DH be on the same page?

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Sorry it didn't work out.  Maybe if your son talks to his dad then he will understand.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

DS will have to handle this one. He's the one who made the supposedly mature decision to go to PS. He'll have to work it out in a mature manner. Being a grown-up kinda sucks sometimes, but there you go.

Also, testing well is a big thing in high school and college. I'm sorry he failed his first one, but he's got a couple of years of practice to go before he hits the PSATs, SATs and ACTs. If he wants access to the programs that he thinks this high school experience will get him, he's going to need to cowboy up and learn to take tests.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Aww poor kid! I'm sure he's super disappointed, I know he was excited. Hopefully he can get back w/ the charter.
oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM

how long has he been at the school? change is hard at first

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
That's what I was thinking. I'd give it a couple weeks. Not that I'm pro public school, lol, but he was so excited.

Quoting oredeb:

how long has he been at the school? change is hard at first

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd tell him he needs to do his best until, say, the end of October (or however long you think it will take for a normal adjustment). If he did his best ie:studying like he needs to for tests, doing his homework, and still has issues, I'd let him come back home. I say he should at least my a very large attempt at doing it. I'm sure some of those classes will get more interesting...I hope. LOL

pixydustmommy
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I would make him stick it out for a little while more. I'm not pro PS, either, but he made this decision and you busted your butt to get him in. Plus, you said that there is no chance of him geting back in if he pulls out, so he really needs to give it time. If he was at college and called you this quickly and said that he was dropping out, would you say ok, or tell him to stick it out a little longer?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Well, I was thinking the same a many..make him stick it out until the first report cards. However, it's such a waste of MY time and money as well.

The biggest reason he wants to come back is the Robotics program wasn't what he expected. it is VERY time intensive and he doesn't even get to touch the robot the first year.  It's all markeing, planning, fundraising, and "support staff"  for at least the first year for a new member of the team. I totally understand them "earning their stripes" so to speak and doing their time, but how does he gain the experience in that time? I'm sure they would start teaching him but it's just not what he expected.

I talked to the Charter School, it's NO problem to re-enroll him if I do it NOW as they haven't started their school year. However, if I wait until AFTER they start school, itwill be harder to get him set up and they may not have room in their classes. Unlike the "regular" public school they aren't required to get into an history class, once it's full, they have to do it at home or through tutoring time.

Thank you all for listening- I really had a strong feeling this was what was going to happen.

I already have his classes picked out for the rest of the year.

He will go to the Learning Center 2 days a week for geometry & English (wed/Fri) and then do his electives , spanish 2 on Monday afternoons & Computers after the other two classes on Friday.

At home he will do health, biology and P.E.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Have you looked to see if there is a collage or university that has a robotics team that is open to homeschoolers? Texas Tech has one that is & a lot of the homeschoolers here are in it I know of a girl that did it for years & loved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)