Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Regrets... Re: One less homeschooler

DS is hating high school. He failed their geometry readiness test because he doesnt test well. He only missed it by a few percentage points, 3 I think he said, and they refused to work with him. I asked if he could review and retake it in a week and they denied him.

The classes are SS boring and he has to get up at 6am and then of course, be in bed by 9pm. He doesn't have time to hang out and do the things HE wants to do.

I really had to fight and bend over backward to get him into the high school. I spent several months trying to talk him out of it and encouraging him to stay in the Charter school we have been using.In the end, I enrolled him to make him happy and now that he's there...he hates it.

So now... what do I do? I know my family (ugg...) and even DH... were happy that he was going back to public school but he is MISERABLE. I told DS that HE needs to talk to his dad and tell him why he wants to change back and explain it. He can NOT go back into the same high school if I remove him. this is his one nad only chance there and our "zone" school is HORRIBLE. I will NOT allow him to go there.

We will not even go into how awful it is for me - to get up and drive him 6 miles each way to school and back...that's 24 miles a day = 1 gallon of gas per day is over $80 in gas a month. Then $10 a week in lunch money.

It takes me over an hour to pick him up in the afternoons. I have to get there about 30 min before the bell rings to get a half-way decent (aka less than a 1/4 mile away) parking spot, and then it takes 15 minutes to get out of the area due to traffic!

I want him to go back to the Charter school, DS wants to, now I have to get DH on the same page. my parents will deal with whatever we choose. My Dad was even telling me today how he knows DS is really not happy in high school.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Replies (11-15):
snowangel1979
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is he.
I would almost make him stick it out. Life is not always fun and It's a life lesson. He wants to be on the robotics team he has to tough it out the first year like everyone else.
He's not going to be able to walk into a job and expect to be a higher up without the leg work of climbing up the ladder

How many weeks has he been at school.

Maybe you can work something out with picking him up like he just waits around and you drive up 15-30 minutes after school gets out, he walks somewhere close to the school or catches a ride with someone and pick him up at there house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Thanks all for the good wishes!

He is all un-enrolled again... LOL I kept waiting for them to ask WHY we were dis-enrolling him. Finally one did and I jut said, family preference! She kinda raised an eyebrow and wrote my answer. LOL

We have him re-enrolled in the homeschool charter and have his books ordered for his year. He as opted for doing some classes there and some at home.

He will go to a Spanish class on Monday for 2 hours. 

On Wed & Fri he will do Geometry and English.

Friday he will stay and do a computer/spreadsheet/internet class.

At home he will do He will biology, health (Boy Scout Merit badges), and PE (Parkour and swimming team)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Aww Jinx. I am sorry that going to public school didn't turn out like your son wanted. Hopefully he can find a way to learn about robotics another way.  Has he looked into that yet?  

undefined

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

We have been hunting and hunting for ways for him to do it outside of the school setting.

Short of me buying the equipment he needs, and letting him learn on his own, (which I would do but I just can't afford the kit of the level he wants at the moment) I haven't found anything locally.

Ther is a robotics merit badge for Boy Scouts, but even the kit they recommend for that is $80. I'm going to start saving and it might be a christmas gift.

Quoting kirbymom:

Aww Jinx. I am sorry that going to public school didn't turn out like your son wanted. Hopefully he can find a way to learn about robotics another way.  Has he looked into that yet?  

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

How far into robotics lessons is he? Can he learn from a website and teach himself?  Is he old enough to do odd jobs and earn the money that way to be able to buy what he needs for the hands on part? 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We have been hunting and hunting for ways for him to do it outside of the school setting.

Short of me buying the equipment he needs, and letting him learn on his own, (which I would do but I just can't afford the kit of the level he wants at the moment) I haven't found anything locally.

Ther is a robotics merit badge for Boy Scouts, but even the kit they recommend for that is $80. I'm going to start saving and it might be a christmas gift.

Quoting kirbymom:

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)