Ok, everyone get in here! I have a question for you, girls.
Say your 7 yo son has really kind of struggled with reading. He gets frustrated, tired, confused, and gets the sounds mixed up. He's making progress but it's an uphill battle.
Now, say that you look up a spelling list for 2nd grade and give him the first list and have him spell it out loud, not on paper, just to see how far behind he is. He basically aces it. (!!!) This is awesome, yet confusing as far as how to place him, reading wise.
1. So, do I assume he's been pulling my leg during reading time?
2. What would you do with a child that can sound out words without seeing them, but looking at them, freaks out?
3. Does anyone else have this problem?
4. Should I assume this means great things for his reading skills and wait for everything to even out?
5. Do you think I should change our reading time? (sitting and reading a few pages of a level reader. Usually, it's one he is interested in.)