Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do i...?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
Help my 23mo son love child led learning again? I have to set up opportunities to get him to play anymore... It makes me sad. He only wants to watch movies...

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Stop putting movies on. Really. Go to a daytime TV ban except for maybe 1/2 hour once a day.

Make your home a learning-rich environment with lots of books and toys. If the TV is off, then he'll find something to do to entertain himself. Make sure you get outside with him, too, to burn off some energy.

Enjoy hanging out with him!

Kassi12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't let him watch movies. He has little baby documentaries about things like cars, trains, the army, construction vehicles. etc. He hasn't even watched them since I realized he had an emotional attachment to them about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He has forgotten how to love playing though and I have been trying to encourage him or give him opportunities to get bored, but he just sits there and cries. I do play with him often but I feel like I am leading play because if I don't he loses interest.

tlw4mealwaz
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I'm having a similar issue with my 22mo DS. I'm thinking part of it may be age/stage related? I've been doing the 'play and walk away' thing with him, and that seems to be helping. I sit down with him (in the room where i need to do something i.e. dishes, or laundry) and his favorite toys and get him going, and then, when he's engrossed (about 3-5minutes later), I get up and start doing what I need to do. So far it seems to be working the majority of the time. :) Although he still bugs me for movies! I just don't turn them on every time he asks. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kassi12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Stop putting movies on. Really. Go to a daytime TV ban except for maybe 1/2 hour once a day.

Make your home a learning-rich environment with lots of books and toys. If the TV is off, then he'll find something to do to entertain himself. Make sure you get outside with him, too, to burn off some energy.

Enjoy hanging out with him!

I try to do that, but ill see where I can improve. thank you :)

oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

hi kass, does he have any problems?

if not let him cry, he knows where his play things are

also take him out in the garden and give him a shovel and let him do what he wants and you work in the garden,

give him a jar or something plastic and tell him you are both gona go and find some bugs to put in it,

make up some bubbles stuff and let him blow

give him some cheap plastic animals and dirt and you both play in the dirt with them,

a kids hammer an nails

squirt bottle an a rag and both of you go clean things

he is only 2, so they do need to be led when young,

Kassi12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Not problems, he is different... More aware of his surroundings and things touching him... I don't know how to explain it. I'm a nanny and I have kept countless kids since 2000 and I have not had a child like him. He doesn't like his hands to be dirty, he doesn't react to frustration with anger he just crys like his heart is braking. Maybe Im just being to careful, I don't know...
Kassi12
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Also he is the most persistent dryer ever. I left him with some friends for 45 min and he was still crying... I have left him with my mom and he will cry the WHOLE TIME! OMG...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN