Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you doing for preschool?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi Moms! I am new to the group - and am going to start preschool for my 3 year old in a couple weeks. Just curious what worked / didn't work for you kids? I would love to hear about your schedule and how many hours worked for you as well. I will also be teaching with my sister and her three year old.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

i didnt do anything with my 3 yr olds, we just played, ran around, hiked, cut things up, scribbled, dug in the garden, made bread and cookies and cakes, yelled and laughed, i read to them , just had fun!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This article should be of interest to you. How To Home School The Pre K student ( it is easy, and no curriculum needed)

amo22
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Sounds like what we are planning! I think I just want to keep doing some of those things with a little bit of structure - like maybe we actually call it "school" for a couple hours, 2-3 times a week. Thanks for the reply!

amo22
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Thanks! I have been checking out your blog - lots of great resources.

JacobsMummie
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I used Letters of the week preschool Curriculum with son for the past two years. We schooled three days a week because he went to playschool two days during the week. We did lessons and activities for about 2hours a day. Also for preschool learning we did LOTS and LOTS of reading. Any topic and stories that would hold his attention I would read to him. I got tons of Melissa and Doug puzzles for him too. I'm starting it again with my 3 y/o DD this fall as well. I really like Letters Of the Week. Had tons of good ideas. We do a letter and a theme for the week. Even for my Kindergartener.

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I used some curriculum, but not on a schedule. I just let her pick and choose when and what we did. My goal was just for her to enjoy learning and have a positive association with "school time". I also used a lot of Montessori type activities. You can see some of what we did on my blog www.seekingsquirrels.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

uh...keeping him out of trouble. that pretty much sums up my day with my preschooler.

Okay, possibly just kidding a TINY bit (b/c he is very mischevious). We don't *do* anything for preschool. We count out M&Ms we sing the "A says ahh. The A says ahh" song all the time. We read a ton and he digs in the dirt. He is always involved in everything we do so he picks up a lot from that (please keep in mind I have two older boys). 

I have never done preschool with my kids, but keep them occupied/entertained with legos, dirt, coloring, puzzles, etc. Just never felt compelled to do a preschool program with my little guys. 

superwoman0105
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

This is my first year homeschooling a preschooler and we are using Busy Bee Preschool.  check out www.busybeepreschool.com.  The lesson plans, crafts, and music are all online.  It's pretty cheap too.  You get whole year of lessons for a full year (Sept-May) with field trip ideas included for only $72.00.  The preschool lessons are two days a week for three hours each.  Hope this helps.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I bought some of those School Zone workbooks at Wal Mart so Theo could have something to do when the older kids worked, He really enjoys the reusable sticker books. Matching the animals is a big hit.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You made my day abi22. As a grandmother of teenagers, it is great to hear that I can still contribute.

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor, and give home school workshops.  Dr. Nile Stanley, who is over the educational department at the University Of North Florida, is now asking me to do workshops for P.C. teachers on how to teach children to read.  What I do is so simple anyone can do it.

abi22..

Thanks! I have been checking out your blog - lots of great resources.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN