Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should I make her write all the answers?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

We do K12, so I realize that ultimately it's up to them whether or not it's okay, but from what I've been told GA isn't a strict state for K12. I have seen a lot of people say this, online and at group meetings.

DD (3rd grade) has behaviors associated with ADHD. We're not heading to the doctor yet because there are so many things we can do without her thinking there's something wrong with her. Anyway, she has a tough time sitting down and writing in workbooks. Even when she was in regular PS, she had a hard time with this. She rarely completed her work, but she always fully understood the concept.

So when she's doing fill-in-the-blanks or answering questions for literature, is it entirely necessary for her to actually write the answers? We just started a week ago. I've had her writing things that are simple, one word answers... but things like having her write the summary of a short story, I've just let her explain it to me (Literature is a tough spot for her). Or in Geography, instead of writing the answers in a notebook, she answers them aloud.

She does a creative writing journal (she enjoys creative writing). I plan to use this as a measure for capitalization, punctuation, complete sentences etc. So I don't see that it's entirely necessary to do all that writing.

Am I wrong?

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I would just ask her the questions & write them myself once she has hit the I can't sit still any more mark.

oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

ohhhh i like that amandae!!! good for you!!(in red)

if it was my daughter i wouldnt have my child fill in the answer as long as she told me and understood it,

cuz she is also doing a journal! since you can gage her handwriting punchuation, as you said,etc from the journal

on the other hand its good for her to be able to write an answer in a workbook also, so dont stop completely! every once in a while  i'd have my daughter do some!!

Quoting amandae21:

We do K12, so I realize that ultimately it's up to them whether or not it's okay, but from what I've been told GA isn't a strict state for K12. I have seen a lot of people say this, online and at group meetings.

DD (3rd grade) has behaviors associated with ADHD. We're not heading to the doctor yet because there are so many things we can do without her thinking there's something wrong with her. Anyway, she has a tough time sitting down and writing in workbooks. Even when she was in regular PS, she had a hard time with this. She rarely completed her work, but she always fully understood the concept.

So when she's doing fill-in-the-blanks or answering questions for literature, is it entirely necessary for her to actually write the answers? We just started a week ago. I've had her writing things that are simple, one word answers... but things like having her write the summary of a short story, I've just let her explain it to me (Literature is a tough spot for her). Or in Geography, instead of writing the answers in a notebook, she answers them aloud.

She does a creative writing journal (she enjoys creative writing). I plan to use this as a measure for capitalization, punctuation, complete sentences etc. So I don't see that it's entirely necessary to do all that writing.

Am I wrong?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)