Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

oak meadow - anyone used it?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, I've had my second grade plan done since... January?  

We have two weeks until school starts, and I come across Oak Meadow.  I *really* think I like it.  I was already getting ready to do a waldorf inspired curriculum (www.weefolkart.com) for my preschooler.  How lovely does this look???  

Has anyone used it?  I am so curious!  I'm about ready to throw out my entire curriculum (okay, sell my entire curriculum) and get this.  LOL!!

I am curious as to how the math works though.  Is it just living math, or is there worksheets and that kind of "regular" math? 

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lightningshadow
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

BUMP!

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM
We are doing OM K and OM 1 this year. I have had them in hand for a few months. They are comprehensive, yet gentle....and fun!!! I had worries about the math, so I bought Singapore to supplement....but guess what? Its not needed! The math can be as little or as much as YOU make it. There are no worksheets, but you do the problems on a board or the kids write their own problems in their main lesson books. I prefer the kids doing their own problems. In my opinion, the program is a complete program. It is not ,"open and go"...which I like. I like to call it flexible structure, lol.

There is a helpful group on FB called Oak Meadow Families. I am mobile and cannot post a link, but it should be easy to find. There is also a yahoo group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This will be our 1st year with Oak Meadow and I agree it is a lovely curriculum.  I love the flexibility that OM offers.  It makes learning enjoyable.  I feel good that I'm using a structured lesson plan, but yet I still get to make changes and adjustments easily where I see fit.  There are no worksheets anywhere.  Students write their work down on a main lesson book.  I plan on buying some workbooks just to fill everthing out.  I'm also supplementing with time4learning.com.  Up until  this point we have been doing structured langauge arts and math and everything else has been child led.  I love doing a child led method it's just exhausting!!!  After 4 years I am ready for a pre written lesson plan.  OM offers us the right balance of structure and flexibility.  Hope that all makes sense!  Any more ?'s 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Is it hard to make up your schedule? Like to plan everything out, or is it laid out for you. For example, does it tell you a guideline of "science 3 days a week, math 5 days a week" etc?
Did you mean it IS open and go, or is NOT open and go. Because it seems like an open and go type of curriculum.

Quoting BramblePatch:

We are doing OM K and OM 1 this year. I have had them in hand for a few months. They are comprehensive, yet gentle....and fun!!! I had worries about the math, so I bought Singapore to supplement....but guess what? Its not needed! The math can be as little or as much as YOU make it. There are no worksheets, but you do the problems on a board or the kids write their own problems in their main lesson books. I prefer the kids doing their own problems. In my opinion, the program is a complete program. It is not ,"open and go"...which I like. I like to call it flexible structure, lol.

There is a helpful group on FB called Oak Meadow Families. I am mobile and cannot post a link, but it should be easy to find. There is also a yahoo group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Like I said to pp, someone in a different post was worried about how to plan it or lay it all out. So I wasn't sure if it gave guidelines on how often to do each subject.

Are there science experiments, projects, etc or is everything pretty literature and living books related? We tried science with living books for first grade and got really bored and didn't feel like we learnt much. Then again, I went by a pretty boring curriculum. (outdoor secrets). I could have done much better on my own.
This year we are doing earth and space. I really love science, so I just am not sure if oak meadow will be enough for us. How do you feel about science and math?

Quoting irvinehiker:

This will be our 1st year with Oak Meadow and I agree it is a lovely curriculum.  I love the flexibility that OM offers.  It makes learning enjoyable.  I feel good that I'm using a structured lesson plan, but yet I still get to make changes and adjustments easily where I see fit.  There are no worksheets anywhere.  Students write their work down on a main lesson book.  I plan on buying some workbooks just to fill everthing out.  I'm also supplementing with time4learning.com.  Up until  this point we have been doing structured langauge arts and math and everything else has been child led.  I love doing a child led method it's just exhausting!!!  After 4 years I am ready for a pre written lesson plan.  OM offers us the right balance of structure and flexibility.  Hope that all makes sense!  Any more ?'s 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Its not open and go.

It is set up by weeks and then within each week, its broken down into the subjects. Each subject gives a comprehensive guide of what to cover. Its up to YOU to lay out the week into days. I like that because we are not strict schedule followers. Its not hard...takes me about 20-30 minutes to plan a week. We do more block scheduling then fitting every subject in everyday.

There are tons of science activities!!!! Its not a living books approach at all. Its not textbook, though, either. There is good literature that ties in...its really unique.

If you are looking for something all laid out like Sonlight, this is NOT it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

There are guidlines.  It will say something like "use langauge arts for the morning lesson 3 times this week, Use math for your main lesson 2 times this week etc."  There are guidlines, but you still get to decide how to put it together.  There are lots of hands on science projects.  One of dd's projects is making a scale model of a park.  A lot of the science is nature observation. 

Quoting Boobah:

Like I said to pp, someone in a different post was worried about how to plan it or lay it all out. So I wasn't sure if it gave guidelines on how often to do each subject.

Are there science experiments, projects, etc or is everything pretty literature and living books related? We tried science with living books for first grade and got really bored and didn't feel like we learnt much. Then again, I went by a pretty boring curriculum. (outdoor secrets). I could have done much better on my own.
This year we are doing earth and space. I really love science, so I just am not sure if oak meadow will be enough for us. How do you feel about science and math?

Quoting irvinehiker:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)