Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son is 5 and he tells me he wants to learn Spanish for one of his lessons this year. I need advice. I took 5 years of Spanish but I can barely remember anything now. How would you go about teaching a 5y/o another language. Is there any good programs that aren't too expensive.

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Replies (11-19):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Okay this is my hobby horse, so please forgive the long post.  I've had a lot of experience getting my kids to speak Spanish (and Japanese, but that's another story).  Note that I don't speak Spanish (or Japanese). 

The best -- in fact the only way -- of learning another language at this age (and it's best to start before 5) is by having interaction with a native speaker.  Do NOT attempt to do this yourself if you only learned in high school.  The point is to have the child hear Spanish with a native accent and fluency.  There are a number of ways of doing this.  We've had good luck putting notices at the local college job center "Native Spanish speaker wanted to play with 5-year-old 2-3 times a week."   We also have the advantage of a local "Spanish school" designed for younger children.  We usually pay $10 to $20 per hour, and make it clear that they need to read to the child in Spanish (our local library has a Spanish section) and speak ONLY Spanish to the child, no matter what.  We've also used tutors (more expensive and not as necessary at this age unless you can't find a college student), but it's important that they be native speakers. 

If this isn't possible you might try an online solution.  Edufire (http://www.edufire.com/) has online tutors.  Many won't work with kids, but some do.  You have to be careful about the quality though, and it' s not as good as having someone "live."  It's also more expensive.  Again, having a native speaker is the key.  Another online school that I like is http://www.learnspanishliveonline.com/about/julio-foppoli/.  Julio is a great guy -- but the lessons are expensive. 

As supplements, we've used (over the years) Rosetta Stone which is, IMO, good as a supplement only.  You aren't going to be fluent by only using RS.  We also make the kids listen to movies in Spanish.  Many of the popular movies have Spanish audio tracks.  Our rule is that any movie during the day has to be in either Spanish or Japanese.  I also like Muzzy, from the BBC.  Do NOT use any program that has both Spanish and English together.  At this age it's very, very important to only hear Spanish when you are doing Spanish so the listener can learn to think in Spanish and not translate. 

If you do this, you will end up with children that actually speak (and read and write) Spanish.  Our older son, now 19, didn't have the advantage of a teacher several times a week (it was pre-internet).  Yet, he still spoke so fluently that when he got to college (University of California, Merced) he tested so high on the placement exams in Spanish that he was put into the "Heritage Speakers" class -- the one for kids who spoke Spanish at home, but didn't have as much "formal" training in doing presentations and writing papers in Spanish.  Our youngest, age five, simply speaks Spanish to his tutors and teachers.  He's now learning to read in Spanish.  It IS possible to raise bilingual children.  A little effort goes a long way.  Good luck!

L.G.
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Hi try the World Word Exchange To learn Spanish, Mandarin or Thai its cheap and you can try it free. It is also like no other method I have tried. Learn the 100 most common words first from playing a word memory game. There is a timeline that records when and how long you study. Its great for motivation. You even get free credits from the site for being a good student.Give it a try and let me know what you think thanks L.G.

JacobsMummie
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Im gonna check that out. My Pop is going to get the kids Roseta Stone for Christmas but that sounds great for the mean time. Thanx :)

Quoting L.G.:

Hi try the World Word Exchange To learn Spanish, Mandarin or Thai its cheap and you can try it free. It is also like no other method I have tried. Learn the 100 most common words first from playing a word memory game. There is a timeline that records when and how long you study. Its great for motivation. You even get free credits from the site for being a good student.Give it a try and let me know what you think thanks L.G.

umhillz
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hi Mommy242012,
I have just got back from a fun filled trip in Buenos Aires with my hubby and my 5 year old boy, Jordan. We were lucky enough to have some family based classes with a spanish school in Buenos Aires called Amauta. http://www.amautaspanish.com/spanish-and-immersion/spanish-courses/spanish-for-families-53.html

They had a great program for kids with lots of cooking classes and arty things for him to get involved in, and me and Tom had a great time too!! We are now continuing classes with them via Skype as we come to travel to Spain in our next holidays! Hope the accent isn't too different!! :) 

BramblePatch
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Ha! Molly is always quoting Dora. The other day, we were out to lunch with the kids cousin and my ex-sil. DD(4) has a crush on a particular waiter and he taught her to say hello in polish. So she greeted him with yakshimas (don't ask me how to spell it, lol)...she thanked him for her shirley temple with merci and then told him to vamanos amigo (which she got from Dora)....my ex-sil sat there in awe and finally choked out "i guess homeschooling IS best". I didn't have the heart to tell her that all but yakshimas was from cartoons, LOL.

Quoting mem82:

LOL Missie watched these shows and would yell things at us in Spanish all day long.

Quoting lightningshadow:

Dora the explorer and go diego go and can get some books in spanish. maybe a spanish native tutor. rosetta stone or muzzy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

We have a program we got from Sams called Instant Immersion Spanish: Levels 1, 2 & 3.  I'm learning along with my boys! :) 

wingmom
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

My son is 4 and learning Spanish from Pocoyo and Jake and the Pirates DVDs, you just go to the menu, choose setup, then pick Spanish language. He watches cartoons and learns spanish at the same time. I am learning it myself and really really love lomastv.com, it is 10$/month and is very good for listening which is the hardest part I think. If money is really tight, there are Pocoyo en espanol shows on youtube, too. Good luck, Buena Suerte!

angelvorg
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:19 AM

There is a site that teaches Spanish for free: www.brightspanish.com (I dont know if that is for kids, but you can learn there and teach your son)

Or free Spanish info: www.gotspanish.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)