Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feelin' guilty over the "Boob Tube"

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM
  • 17 Replies

My husband recently landed a great job in another city--five hours away.  I had to stay behind with the kids to complete a lease agreement and pack/clean the house.  I have FOUR boys in which I stuck in front of a T.V. in between meals and outside time so I could get all I needed done.  Our school does not start until September 10th and they have not been getting the reading I do for them during all their meals because I have packed them all up.  I have a 12 passenger van so going to the Library regularly now was out until we moved.  I just feel sooo bad cause I've heard so many reports on the damage it does to the child when they have more than 2 hours of T.V time a day.  Spongebob has become my buddy...and I'm ashamed.  Anyone ever have to undo the boob tube damage they have done?  Does this wear off?  Can I still have a successful school year where my kids are paying attention and loving reading again? 

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Yes, It does wear off...or at least they get unadicted..LOL

I let my kids go crazy on TV / video game time in the summer. During the school year, it is no more than 2 hours of electronics nd ONLY after school work is done. Most afternoons/ evenings we have sports and/or scouts or church events so there isn't much time for electronics anyway.

pixydustmommy
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't think that the TV does damage like a lot of people think. I think that it can temporarily shorten attention spans, but that's about it. I don't limit my kids DVD watching (we don't have TV, no issue with it, can't afford cable and the TVs aren't digital ready so I have to go buy all of the junk for it), but they don't spend a lot of time watching.

Anyway, I think it is completely normal to plunk the kids in front of the TV in your situation. Don't worry about it. Just be prepaired that when everything settles down there may be tantrums about not being able to watch TV!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Don't worry. In the excitement of moving and getting school going, again. Just cut out a lot of the extra time witht the TV. Kids will watch it if it's there, and then forget about itif it's not.

Maridel
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Yea, I just went through a very difficult pregnancy and my girls spent most of it watching tv while I hugged the toilet. Its amazing how quick they bounce back. Dont worry, no permanent damage ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You aren't doing permanent damage.  Just relax.  You will get them back on track in no time.  Good luck with the move.  Oh, if they want to watch t.v. after you move---make them earn it with good behavior and good school work done in a timely manner.

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

During the week, my kids aren't allowed to watch tv or play video games until after 5 pm. On the weekends, they can watch during the day. They ARE allowed to watch tv during the week if it is something educational, like a history or science documentary on Netflix or "How the States Got Their Shapes" or something similar on the History Channel.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

hey antro, have the kids help you pack! thats very educational!! give them a rag and squirt bottle and let them clean stuff,

it will wear off!!, 

take the time to read to them now, even for 15 min a few times a day, or at lunch or dinner, how bout letting them watch educational programs? and while your packing or cooking or? talk about it with them? let them tell each other what they seen

AntroNet
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

YOu ladies ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanx so much for the ideas and the assurance that I am not setting my kids up for failure.  And Oredeb....I did try to have them pack....NEVER AGAIN...well, not right now...they make forts and get the floor wet when I tell them to clean up a mess!  I can't mop up anymore floods.  ANd it all happens in a matter of seconds of leaving the room for a minute to go get something.  But I will have them help me in SOMETHING...just don't know what yet.  Again, thanx everybody!we rock

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM

LOL ~  bahahahahahahahahaha ROTFL!!!  heeeheeeheeeheeehahahahaha ~ okay. I'm done laughing now. *snickers behind hand* :)) 

I sooooooo have a complete and utter understanding of that one!!!  

But seriously, you are in no danger of hurting or harming your kids. The harm your talking about would come from letting kids sit in fromt of the television 12 hours a day, every day, 7 days a week, all year long.  And I seriously doubt that you do that. Not if your schooling them. So you do what you need to do and just know that you  may have to handle a few temper flare ups later about them not getting to watch as much, later.  :)  

Quoting AntroNet:

YOu ladies ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanx so much for the ideas and the assurance that I am not setting my kids up for failure.  And Oredeb....I did try to have them pack....NEVER AGAIN...well, not right now...they make forts and get the floor wet when I tell them to clean up a mess!  I can't mop up anymore floods.  ANd it all happens in a matter of seconds of leaving the room for a minute to go get something.  But I will have them help me in SOMETHING...just don't know what yet.  Again, thanx everybody!we rock

undefined

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahahahahah sorry i know its not funny when your right in the middle of it!! just think of the stories you can tell when they are older!!!hahahah

Quoting AntroNet:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)