Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feelin' guilty over the "Boob Tube"

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband recently landed a great job in another city--five hours away.  I had to stay behind with the kids to complete a lease agreement and pack/clean the house.  I have FOUR boys in which I stuck in front of a T.V. in between meals and outside time so I could get all I needed done.  Our school does not start until September 10th and they have not been getting the reading I do for them during all their meals because I have packed them all up.  I have a 12 passenger van so going to the Library regularly now was out until we moved.  I just feel sooo bad cause I've heard so many reports on the damage it does to the child when they have more than 2 hours of T.V time a day.  Spongebob has become my buddy...and I'm ashamed.  Anyone ever have to undo the boob tube damage they have done?  Does this wear off?  Can I still have a successful school year where my kids are paying attention and loving reading again? 

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Replies (11-17):
Summerlion1123
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think tv does damage as long as they exercise and go outside and what not. If it does my son is seriously screwed up haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yes you can. I have to take it completely away for awhile when I let them watch to much.  Make your kids watch educational shows instead.  My 6 year old has learned to love documentaries because that is all I let her watch unless I allow the babies to watch tv then it is only nick jr.  SO either way educational and she is the only one who really likes documentaries so I do have to limit her watching time but if I am sick or cleaning I dont feel bad about it anymore.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Lol, been there, done that! We've moved a bunch of times, once it was to my fathers house where we stayed for 4 months. We didn't have most of our school stuff. So we had the boob tube Syndrom during that time as well. It took no time at all to bounce back. The kids ended up bored anyway...lol...
RedHeadedLizzy
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The last time I undid the BoobTube, it was for good. We haven't watched any TV in well over a year.  Fortunately, we didn't have much "damage" from it, other than when my daughter was about 5 or 6 she started gaining a rather surly attitude from iCarly. No more, though. 

~Lisa

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, TeenNick got a ban in this house, too. 8^/

Quoting RedHeadedLizzy:

The last time I undid the BoobTube, it was for good. We haven't watched any TV in well over a year.  Fortunately, we didn't have much "damage" from it, other than when my daughter was about 5 or 6 she started gaining a rather surly attitude from iCarly. No more, though. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Also, don't forget about all the weeks and months of vaca public schoolers get. So I'd you're doing anything for school you're still better off then in PS!
peanut06
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hugs.  You can make up the official homeschool time later.  Like a pp said, think of all the vacation times and breaks public-school kids take off during the year.  And, to pat you on your back, there are definitely moments you don't realize you're still teaching them, momma :)

I used to be anti-Spongebob.  Now, I only cringe.  We don't have satellite anymore, but we do have Netflix.  My kiddos watch a lot, unfortunately, (well, the TV is on all day, but it's more background noise, judging by all the toys we pick up at night LOL).  We take turns on selections--dd4, ds2, and then I put on something educational, like the LeapFrog videos or a documentary.  Makes a momma feel a little better about the TV time, though, when the child you thought wasn't paying attention, is excited to share facts she picked up about volcanoes or the body :)

We're only doing preschool right now, but I still feel a little guilty that the only planned thing I accomplish most days is reading at night.  We just finished Matilda, 1-2 chapters a night, and dd exclaimed, while watching the movie, "Hey, that's like in the book!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)