Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Amazon Prime (mostly OT, but there is some on topic!)

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hubby thinks we should get this, and cancel Hulu and Netflix, since we can get movies etc on the BluRay player. I'm just not sure it has all the same shows and movies that Netflix has, as well as Hulu. We watch a lot of stuff on our iPad and phones. Also, we don't do a lot of Amazon buying, but I mean I guess I could try to always go there for items first instead of a general interent search. I have a nook, and read lots on it, so the Kindle perks are nill.

Does anyone pay for this? Is it worth the money? Does it have an app for Apple devices? Are Kindle books easy to convert to nook or pdf? If we buy a movie on Prime digitally, do we have access to it forever? Lots to think about!

NOT OT PORTION:
Do they have good educational shows? I know that Netflix often has good science shows, and lots of great history things.

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucsch
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I do have Amazon Prime, but not for the movies. We have Netflix, which we love, tried Hulu Plus and did not care for it. I use the Prime for free shipping and borrowing books on my Kindle. As I use my kindle more and more, I'm not buying as many books for the free shipping BUT I do buy some grocery items from there and get free shipping.

maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM

What kind of grocery items? Are they cheaper on Amazon? My local library has a good eBook selection, so I'm not sure I'd do a lot of ebook borrowing from Amazon.

Quoting lucsch:

I do have Amazon Prime, but not for the movies. We have Netflix, which we love, tried Hulu Plus and did not care for it. I use the Prime for free shipping and borrowing books on my Kindle. As I use my kindle more and more, I'm not buying as many books for the free shipping BUT I do buy some grocery items from there and get free shipping.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I have netflix and love it! I also have an amazon kindle app for my pc that I absolutely adore for reading!  I wouldn't give up anything just yet. What you can do is give prime a trial run and see how it works out for you and your family. I think they even have a month's trial for free but couldn't swear to it.  :)

undefined

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

i just heard a report on it last night, and it said that its one of the most popular besides netflix if that helps any!!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I have prime but we have it for the free shipping not the instantwatch! The Kindle perks only work if you have a kindle!

maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM
What do you buy online often enough for the free shipping to pay for itself?

Quoting usmom3:

I have prime but we have it for the free shipping not the instantwatch! The Kindle perks only work if you have a kindle!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

A little bit of everything. You can buy almost anything from them. We have gotten grocery items, computer parts, car parts, pet supplies, clothes, Christmas gifts & birthday gifts, books, video games, tools, vitamins, medicine & a lot more! 

Quoting maggiandmike:

Quoting usmom3:

maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Thanks! Hubs and I will discuss it more.

Quoting usmom3:

A little bit of everything. You can buy almost anything from them. We have gotten grocery items, computer parts, car parts, pet supplies, clothes, Christmas gifts & birthday gifts, books, video games, tools, vitamins, medicine & a lot more! 

Quoting maggiandmike:

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:21 AM

NO NO NO ...my husband works for Amazon and we have Amazon Prime but mainly for the free 2 day shipping (my husband would rather order something than go to the store and pick it up lol) not for the movies.....yes they have movies but not near what you get from Netflix and Hulu combined. We watch stuff on Netflix still. And I'm not sure about an apple app or converting kindle books to nook or PDF but I dont think you can....just like you cant get Apple apps on the kindle.

maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Thank you! I didn't think it was worth it unless we started buying groceries online. We use cloth diapers and nurse, so no monthly expense there for babies. And since we homeschool too, so supplies for that are limited.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

NO NO NO ...my husband works for Amazon and we have Amazon Prime but mainly for the free 2 day shipping (my husband would rather order something than go to the store and pick it up lol) not for the movies.....yes they have movies but not near what you get from Netflix and Hulu combined. We watch stuff on Netflix still. And I'm not sure about an apple app or converting kindle books to nook or PDF but I dont think you can....just like you cant get Apple apps on the kindle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN