Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here! Homeschooling little ones!

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi!
We're just starting our home school journey and I have SO MANY questions!  I browsed through some of the posts here and already found some great tips!!
My husband and I have 3 children ages 4, 2.5, 6 months.  I am a tiny bit panicked about how I'm going to be able to have enough time to spend quality time with each of them as they get into elementary years.  Right now though we are just enjoying preschool and kindergarten! 
I'm open to any and all input and advise.  Looking forward to being part of this group! 
My biggest question right now is just about the day-to-day, week-to-week of home schooling.  How many hours a day do you spend on sit-down-do-lessons school time with your kids?  We've been going to library (story time) once a week for the morning for over a year now and I don't want to give that up once the kids are all doing lessons.  Do you think it's feasible to only do school 4 days a week or just plan on doing school in the evening the day we go to library?   I don't know why but this is my biggest concern right now for some reason, lol. 

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM

My kids are 6,5,3 and 2 and we have about 5 hours a day for school but that includes breaks because I am switching off between my older girls and the babies do school when they want so when they want to actually do class work not play with educational toys and videos I have in the room we school in I take time to work with them.  I think for preschool and kinder ages sit down work time recommended at most by most people I have talked to is an hour with breaks in between and lots of hands on.  I would say 4 days a week or even 2 days a week of school time is good.  My kids learn even when we arent doing school, we learn everywhere we go so I count it.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

There is a method referred to as the Unit Study Method where you can teach all the children around one theme adjusting to individual needs.  It works much like the old one room school house.

For example:  While cooking, teach the 5 year old how to measure, and have the younger children assist as they are capable. Going for walks is a great way to teach vocabulary to Pre k students (see article below).   Here are some articles to help you:

How To Home School The Pre K  

How To Home School (getting started)

Grade Level Requirements

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM

hi rachel!! welcome to homeschooling!!! have you checked out your homeschool law??

your kids are still young so dont worry!! have fun with them right now, do arts and crafts with them, teach them songs,  play games with them , read to them, cook with them, its all learning!

as they get older into the elementry years, you will be able to spend quality time with them, so dont worry bout that either  just enjoy them now!!

with your kids being so young an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours a day is way enough and thats for your older one, the younger ones less!!

and you dont need to do any sit down lessons right now, find some hands on stuff to do with them,  do some art and crafts with them, play with them,

your 4 yr old if shes ready you can start teaching her colors, showing her that objects have numbers(counting) chores, cooking, checking out bugs for science,  heres a site that might help her  if shes ready, dont force her!! http://www.starfall.com/

when the kids are ready for school stuff 4 days on and one at library is great! i did it for years that way (we didnt do school work at all on the library day, that was our field trip day, which is part of schooling)

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

BUMP!

Rachel728
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback!! 
I'm actually doing a kindergarden program with my 4 year old this year (Abeka's K5).  She is reading simple words and doing simple math (adding and subtracting).  She is my quick learner!   I'm just starting to work with my 2.5 year old and she is proving to not be as quick of a learner as my first, haha, but that's ok.  I'm taking their cues and not pushing them.  Right now we're doing maybe a half hour of sit down school three or four days a week.  Plus all the learning games and just talking about things throughout the day.  Most of my questions stem from just wanting to be prepared for what is coming in the next few years.  I have checked into my state's (Vermont) home school laws and I know I don't have to register them until they are 6.  So I have a few years even until my oldest HAS to be in school.  But since she is willing and ready to learn I'm not going to wait! :) 
I hadn't thought of using library day as 'field trip day'.  Of course!!  :) 
I'll be checking into the links you all posted, thank you so much!

I have another question but I think I'll start a new thread since it's specific. ;) 

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I have a 4 year old kinder kiddo myself :) I think it is great that you are starting so early & the most important peice of advice that I can give to you is to make them have a love of learning. I have a 4th grade, 1 grade and kinder and we do so many hands on things verses sit down work. I would say our total sit down work for kinder is about an hour, but between circle time, calender time, singing songs, dancing, crafts and reading our whole day of school is about 5 hours. He also does history & science with his brothers. One thing that has been important to the younger kids is to be able to spread out on the floor with pillows and blankets to work. My boys arent huge fans of the table/desk.  

Dry erase boards are my best friend for the smaller boys. They think its playing with those! And legos are a great learning tool!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN