Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should I be doing more?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

I feel like our homeschool day is really not much for my 2nd grader.   We're using BJU online.   He watches the videos of the lesson taught and does the worktext pages it assigns.    It's taking 3-4 hours at most to finish....math, reading, english, spelling, handwriting, science/history (alternating days).  He completes all the assignments assigned.   BJU has extra sheets available for him to do....but if he gets all the anweres right on the assignments I dont see the point in using them.

Most days we also do a 30 minutes sildent reading time.   I'm just a little clueless as to what is "enough".

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixydustmommy
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM
4 moms liked this

My 2nd grader doesn't spend that much time onher school work. Are you compairing the amount of time that you are spending to what is done in private or public? HS hours really aren't compairable to all of the waiting around done in PS.

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Ds starts K12 on the 4th. They say 5 hours is the average time kids spend on school work. If he's completing all his assignments then I don't see a problem with it. Maybe give a little extra or add gym to make the days longer.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds to me like your son is doing quite well.  If he would like to do more, let him. If he is fine with what he is doing, don't worry about it. If your worried he isn't retaining any of the lessons being taught, just wait a few days after a lesson then ask him some simple and complex questions. based on his answers, you will know what he knows or doesn't know.  Talk about his lessons throughout the day as you work or do chores or have play time or at dinner. Let him inform you of what he knows. This is a great way to keep track of his progress and lets you know where to work on any of his weaknesses. If he even has any.  My 13 yr old does a weeks worth of schooling in a matter of 3 hours in a day. Drives me nuts trying to keep up with him. I have to stay on my tippy toes just to keep up where he's at. lol  

You are doing fine mom! :) 

undefined

Maridel
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM

That is plenty of time for a second grader! No worries

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

if hes getting it all right you dont need to use the extra sheets!! to much paper work!!hahahah

sounds like he does way enough stuff!!! is he enjoying the bju online videos? is there anything he'd like to learn about?

good job luvmy!!

tany.guti
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM
He is getting a great education! You are doing a great job! The extra sheets are not needed unless he has a concept he is having trouble grasping. The only thing I would add is more fun. Is there anything he would like to do more in? For example my son wanted more science and my daughter wanted more history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You're fine :)

My sixth grader only averages 4 or 5 hours a day (well, in fifth grade; we haven't started our sixth grade year yet).

It sounds like you are doing what so many of us are guilty of - comparing our homeschool with a brick and mortar school counterpart.

Remember, there are many things that you aren't having to do, that are necessary in a classroom environment, that accounts for a good part of their day:

You don't need to take attendance with 30 children.

You don't need to take lunch orders.

You don't need to call up homework.

You don't need to answer 30 raised hands at any given time, interrupting the flow of a lesson.

You don't need to break several times a day for potty breaks, snack breaks, lunch breaks, and recess.

Your children do not need to plan for travel time between their "basic" classes (math, english, history, science) and their "extra" classes (PE, music, art, spanish).

Lastly, you are teaching ONE child. Your child. You know him. You aren't responsible for teaching 30 different children, with varying learning styles and personalities, a differentiated curriculum.

Although homeschooling CAN be stressful, it is really cake compared to what a public school teacher has to deal with - once you relax :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You're fine :)

My sixth grader only averages 4 or 5 hours a day (well, in fifth grade; we haven't started our sixth grade year yet).

It sounds like you are doing what so many of us are guilty of - comparing our homeschool with a brick and mortar school counterpart.

Remember, there are many things that you aren't having to do, that are necessary in a classroom environment, that accounts for a good part of their day:

You don't need to take attendance with 30 children.

You don't need to take lunch orders.

You don't need to call up homework.

You don't need to answer 30 raised hands at any given time, interrupting the flow of a lesson.

You don't need to break several times a day for potty breaks, snack breaks, lunch breaks, and recess.

Your children do not need to plan for travel time between their "basic" classes (math, english, history, science) and their "extra" classes (PE, music, art, spanish).

Lastly, you are teaching ONE child. Your child. You know him. You aren't responsible for teaching 30 different children, with varying learning styles and personalities, a differentiated curriculum.

Although homeschooling CAN be stressful, it is really cake compared to what a public school teacher has to deal with - once you relax :)

Very well said. My thoughts exactly!

If you are feeling like you should do more, then add in field trips, lots of read-alouds, hands on activities, games, nature walks, videos and fun extras that will solidify what he is learning through his classes.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My 1st grader does 4 hours every other day and 2-3 on the days that he doesn't do four hours. I sometimes wonder if I am doing enough but the proof is in the pudding. He is definitely learning! So if your son is learning then I wouldn't worry about it :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Wow, I'd say 3-4 hours is long for a 2nd grader. But my rule of thumb? If they are arguing with siblings or acting bored then they can always do more school work!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)