Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel like our homeschool day is really not much for my 2nd grader.   We're using BJU online.   He watches the videos of the lesson taught and does the worktext pages it assigns.    It's taking 3-4 hours at most to finish....math, reading, english, spelling, handwriting, science/history (alternating days).  He completes all the assignments assigned.   BJU has extra sheets available for him to do....but if he gets all the anweres right on the assignments I dont see the point in using them.

Most days we also do a 30 minutes sildent reading time.   I'm just a little clueless as to what is "enough".

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Replies (11-12):
peanut06
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Does your state have specific requirements for hours or number of days in a school year?  If not, I wouldn't worry about doing more unless your kiddo is asking for more.  Even if there are requirements, then just consider all the non-textbook learning that occurs in a day, like recess, games, TV documentaries and learning videos, helping with meals...

donnakw
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

My nephew averages about 4-5 hours a day with hs and seems to be doing well. Even though our superintendant said we should average 7 hours a day like the school does.  We just make sure he is learning what he needs and also has time to be a kid.    I do have a question what is BJU?  Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN