Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many "lessons" or "units" per week?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

How many units (or new concepts, rather) do your kids do per week? I wrote my lesson plan for the first 3 weeks for just one unit (in Saxon math 5/4) but it seems like he will be bored and floy thru it.  

Ashley

www.schoolofsupermen.blogspot

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Our Math U See is one lesson per week. It is 3 days of the new concept (lesson A,B,C) and 3 days of the new concept WITH mixed review.(Lesson D,E,F)   I do it in a way that they mix up the new and review A&D, B&E, C&F....

DS2 uses Teaching Textbooks and each day is a new spiral lesson.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

With Math, I don't really plan it. We just start at page one and go. Sometimes, my kids fly through it, and sometimes we hit a road bump.

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

hmmm not sure what you mean, in saxon is your lesson plan just on the 1st lesson?

what i do with saxon is 1 lesson per day and i just put the page number and the lesson in my lesson plan each day, and add if theres something extra i wanna do with child for math

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Quoting oredeb:

hmmm not sure what you mean, in saxon is your lesson plan just on the 1st lesson?

what i do with saxon is 1 lesson per day and i just put the page number and the lesson in my lesson plan each day, and add if theres something extra i wanna do with child for math

oooooh ok! I was spreading one lesson out for the week and doing supplemental type stuff too. Ok, got it now!

Ashley

www.schoolofsupermen.blogspot

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

ohhhhhhhhh i get it!!! you dont need to do the suppliment if your child doesnt need it, and change it up a bit , by putting some problems on the chalkboard/white board    doing them out loud etc! makes it funner! and helps the child deal with change, not be stuck doing it one way only

Quoting TxMommyOfBoys:

Quoting oredeb:

oooooh ok! I was spreading one lesson out for the week and doing supplemental type stuff too. Ok, got it now!

WifeMomStudent
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I just took whatever curriculum I'm using for that subject and divided it up by a 32 week school year. In history he will be doing 2 chapters some weeks and only one chapter other weeks depending on how long the chapter is or if it's something I want to put more emphasis on. I did notice that most of the curriculum are geared towards a 32 week set up. Some the lessons last 2 weeks, on those I made sure not to divide up the lesson by a break, Christmas spring break etc HTH
RedHeadedLizzy
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

We do core subjects (computer programs - AOG's Switched on Schoolhouse-math, social science, science and language arts) every day (M-F) plus cursive practice. Then I let Ash take the lead, which wears me out!  She does music, art, woodworking and extra math on IXL.com (she loves math) as she wills, or we do cooking or go swimming at the Civic Center. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN