Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

sight words? or not?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do/did you teach sight words to your little ones? 
I have not taught any sight words other than "the" to my four year old.  I've taught her phonics and she sounds words out.  I haven't done ANY research on this topic but it just made more sense to me to teach her how to really read the words rather than memorize what they look like.  I figured as she does more reading and sees certain words more often they will become sight words to her naturally. 
I babysit another four year old who's mom has a list of over 100 sight words she is teachin gher daughter.  She knows most of them, just basic 3 letter words.  If I give her a word she is not familiar with she will guess with words that look similar rather than try to sound it out. 
What do you thinK?  Should I start doing sight words?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM
We did a little on sight words, just so they could recognize the more commonly used words easier (like the) but we did not so a lot of the focused study on site words.
oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

i made up our readers so i taught the sight words i used in them along with phonics for all the kids

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I have done sight words with my kids but mostly ones that dont follow the rules.  All other we just do as spelling words but not at 4.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

We have done sight words!

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Yes but not overkill like they do in public school. lol

pintrest has awesome ideas for sight words.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Yes we do some sight words:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Prahl
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM
No I do what you do. They do become sight words after they see a lot my just turned 5 year old can read fluently and decode any words she does not know. We do.exactly what you do.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach sight words and phonics. There are just some words that you can not pronounce right the way it is spelled. For example..... have, said.  Try sounding those out with their spelling. lol  It sounds way too funny. :)    I used to go by the book when it came to spelling being taught a specific way. They were called The Spelling Rules.  Now we call them.. The Spelling Suggestions.  :)

undefined

lucsch
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

We did phonics, but we also went over more commonly used words because some of them have unusual spelling, not to mention knowing the most commonly used words will enable your child to read a wider variety of books. There is a difference in teaching whole-word sight reading and teaching lists of sight words to supplement phonics. It's ok to do it--really! LOL!

My daughter learned this way, and she was reading chapter books, like Dr. Dolittle and The Wizard of Oz, in 1st grade. She is also an excellent speller.

Rachel728
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I need to get a list together of non-phonetic, common words to start with- like, have.  Anyone have a link before I start searching?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN