Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do/did you teach sight words to your little ones? 
I have not taught any sight words other than "the" to my four year old.  I've taught her phonics and she sounds words out.  I haven't done ANY research on this topic but it just made more sense to me to teach her how to really read the words rather than memorize what they look like.  I figured as she does more reading and sees certain words more often they will become sight words to her naturally. 
I babysit another four year old who's mom has a list of over 100 sight words she is teachin gher daughter.  She knows most of them, just basic 3 letter words.  If I give her a word she is not familiar with she will guess with words that look similar rather than try to sound it out. 
What do you thinK?  Should I start doing sight words?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (21-22):
Jeremmy
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I skip sight words. Logan automatically memorizes some on his own, which i dont have a problem with...however i personally am going to teach him how to sound out rather than memorize.

southernwldchld
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

With my oldest ds we used sight words because him and phonics just didn't work. After he had the sight words down for K-2nd, then he was able to tackle phonics.  And then the program we used was less sounding out and more teaching common endings. I don't know if it gave him the confidence he needed, or if it just filled in the space until he was ready to do it. But whatever it was, he went up four reading levels in a year and a half. 

It's been interesting, and sometimes frustrating, teaching the kids to read. I personally don't remember being taught to read, I was reading by 3, so for me it's just always been something I did. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN