Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to it all! Any advice?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi everyone, I am new to Cafe Mom and to homeschooling. I am super excited to begin this adventure with my daughter. She will be in 2nd grade and I am wondering if anyone can tell me curriculums they loved or hated! There is so much information out there and I am totally overwhelmed! Thank you so much for your thoughts and insites!

Kate

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Are you looking for a bible based type curriculum or standard?

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

welcome!!!!!!

rod and staff for math, workbook, and lots f manipulatives

no english

and christian liberty 'nature studies' very good little books, spelling books, i guess i like just about every thing they put out!!

handwriting , the portland italic series

abeka has some good history and science

considering gods creation for science is very good and fun

katetheredhead
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I am not particularly averse to Bible curriculum, but for my own sanity I am leaning towards separating school and church. I feel better with the religious instrcution my girls get from church, being responsible for their Bible knowledge really makes me nervous....sorry to babble! Here is a bit more information about Savannah Grace. Sheis 7 years old. She reads at a 7th grade level and her math is at a 5th grade level. She is very interested in hands on science projects. She is a strong writer as well. She does tend to be shy and a big worrier. She is extraordinarily sensitive and an over thinker of sorts. She is probably the most spiritual person in our house :) Thanks so much!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Do you feel you need to have a curriculum or are you interested in doing your own? You could de-school to begin with just to get the way the "ps system" was taught to her, out of her  "system". lol   Does she like strict schedules or is she laid back? Does she prefer mornings to evenings or does she like afternoon schooling?  Maybe ask her what she would like to learn during the lesson hours?  Take some time to enjoy the new learning environment and to see how she learns and what style of learning she likes. :)  

undefined

katetheredhead
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I have read alot about 'deschooling' and I am quite positive Savannah Grace and I could use a good dose of that to start the year off right. Even though she is only starting 2nd grade, she is already  ïnstitutionalized' in her learning. I feel that we could be fine without a set curriculum. I honestly kind of feel forced to have one in place just because then I can easily tell people what we are doing. Everyone seems to have an opinion about homeschooling. Everyone in my circle seems to think I have gone crazy. To me, it seemed so unnatural to have her away from me for so many hours a day at such a young age. Maybe I just need to get a thicker skin...lol! Thanks for your help, I think you  may be on to something....who better to lead Savannah Grace's learning than the two of us togethor!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)