Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What to do when your child's learning style is different from your teaching style.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

Good afternoon, I have a problem, this is my first year homeschooling my dd, she is more of a relaxed doesn't respond well to schedules. She would be a perfect unschooling candidate but I'm unsure about that. I set a schedule and it doesn't work for her. I also have a ds and due to personal reasons I am unable to homeschool him. I want to try to do things during the day when he is in school, but it doesn't seem to work. In an ideal day school would begin at 9 and end at 2 I would like her to have breakfast, do her hygiene, chore and be all ready to begin at 9 to start school. But she will get out of bed at 9 then it takes her some time to settle down and do her routine then begin school. I live in Central Falls, Rhode Island and they have requirements that she has to have at least 5 hours of homeschool a day 5 days a week for 180 days. So what should I do? Also, any information about unschooling would be appreciated, thanks for all the advice.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are like that too. If they had their way, they would do nothing but watch TV and play video games all day long. I have a "flexible routine" with them, not a strict schedule. I tried a strict schedule when we first starting homeschooling and we were ALL stressed out. Between my health problems and my oldest son's, we HAVE to be flexible in some areas; otherwise NOTHING will get done.

As far as being required to do at least 5 hours of homeschool a day, that doesn't necessarily mean 5 hours of sitting behind a desk, reading a textbook. Things like cooking, grocery shopping, and field trips are also considered homeschooling, because there is so much you can learn from those activities.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

oredeb
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM

i'changed my style to whatever is gona help my kids and it is good also to throw in a bit of the other styles so they will become use to them!  so when they get older it wont be a shock out in the big world!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I would adjust to her style, as far as the requirements I would be very creative with my description of all the things we did each day!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

How old is she? Have you tried a timer to help her get going and beat the clock?

lucsch
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yes, I'd like to know how old she is.

Just because a child isn't doing something now does not mean she can't learn to do something over time.

If you would have seen my dd when we started, you'd know I know this firsthand! She could not even sit through one picture book at age 4-1/2. She could not color within lines, make a single letter, or even hold a pencil. She could not pronounce a single consonant--only vowels. Could you believe this child, five years later, is advanced in all her subjects? She is!

Look at homeschooling, not as grades, but as a continuum of learning. So, now perhaps what you try to do is get her to sit with you for one story, followed by something active, like bouncing a ball or dancing. Then go back to something for school. Alternate physical activities with book or seatwork activities.

I really wish you had stated her age--this makes a big difference. School should not be 5 hours for a kid under 10. That's a ridiculous requirement, UNLESS you count breaks, learning activities that aren't strickly school-related, etc. Remember to count any reading that you do aloud.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You may do "school" whenever you wish. It can even be done at night if that fits everyone's styles better.  School lessons consist of children learning the basics of life and education. Anything we do after that is a bonus. If your daughter does better schooling standing up and walking around in a circle, then let her do that. It is not a requirement HOW or WHEN the lessons are taught, but HOW OFTEN they are taught.  Everything we do in a day is a lesson in education. From pulling out the table chair and sitting on your butt and not your knees at age ten is a lesson in education. When a child is being told to sit quietly for a few minutes, that is a lesson on intructions in education. Learning how to fill a glass is a lesson because the child is not only learning how to fill a glass but learning when to stop before it over flows. Brushing teeth is a lesson. Education is all around us. Its how we define it that  matters most.  Parents who teach their children teach so much more than just rote and memorization. Parents teach life skills with the basics. When a parent teaches math, they teach it in conjunction with cooking and science and gardening and mechanics and so much more.  The same is for all subjects.  I guess what I am trying to say is, from the moment you wake up and inter-act with your children to the moment you put them to bed is a school day.  And that is how you word it to those who need a description  of your activities as far as schooling is concerned.   Don't worry, you will get better at this every day, every week, every month, every year, year after year. :)

undefined

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Hi, sorry for the lack of information, my dd is 9 and going into the 4th grade.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Lots of great advice!

I will just give you a quick list of all the MANY things you can count as "school" :

Read aloud, listen to classical music and have her draw what comes to her mind, cook with her, she can help make the grocery list and go shopping, library trip, field trips, Netflix videos, nature walks, playing with clay, making jewlery, taking photos of nature, collecting leaves, picking up trash in your neighborhood, walking the dogs, excersizing, ect, ect....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)