Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A trip from Alaska to North Carolina and back

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 14 Replies
In Oct of 2013 we are planning a trip from Alaska to North Carolina. We will be homeschooling as we go. We should be gone about 2 months. What would you go and see if you could? What would you teach about while on the road?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow! What a trip! Are you going to visit Mt. Rushmore? Grand Canyon? What about maybe seeing some of the highlights of the Oregon Trail?

armybratmom612
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Try googling educational land marks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds like fun! I would go see everything that we could!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM
That is awesome!!! How I wish we could do some traveling. Will it be rv style, or hotels? Planes or road?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalhend
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM
It will be rv. We are excited also. A once in a lifetime thing.

Quoting Boobah:

That is awesome!!! How I wish we could do some traveling. Will it be rv style, or hotels? Planes or road?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM

You get to learn about different countries too since you have to go through Canada. I would go to yellowstone and mount rushmore and just about anywhere I could and take a different route back.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Wow!  You are going to have so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lol     We used to travel in an rv for awhile and the kids absolutely loved it!  You should head out and travel on one route and then head home on a different route so as to maximize the traveling experience. I don't know that I would hit all the touristy sites but I would see some of them. I would try and go to some of the out of the ordinary places that most tourists don't think are important enough to visit. That way you can experience a lot of the "locale's" own personality without the touristy advertising feel that tourist sites are known for.  Which also means you would get to see and hear and feel what so many people miss in a touristy spot.  This is also a great way to explore if you are not set up financially to see everything touristy.  One thing you should spend some money on and that is a bunch of those disposable cameras!  Take as many pictures as you possibly can.  You can have the prints doubled and you can also put them to cd.  This experience will last you a lifetime and your kids as well.   I know ours still talk about some of the places they got to visit.  :)  

undefined

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM

one long geography unit study!!!!!

which states are you gona go through?

crystalhend
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Not sure yet it is in the early planning stage yet.

Quoting oredeb:

one long geography unit study!!!!!

which states are you gona go through?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lightningshadow
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Dog Sledding!  Yes that's the only thing I can think that I'd like to really do in Alaska.  And see the Iditorod Race (thanks Balto!).  Or are we talking about NC?  Hmmm... I like history so go see some old forts, maybe view some plantations (if that's allowed.  If  I could see the cotten gin or see it in action that would be cool.  Beach naturally (maybe sneak down to Myrtle Beach).  Mount Rushmore would be neat to see.  Anything nature/history/archaelogy/anthropology/animal related I'd see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)