Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Prob won't do K12 next year - thinking ahead on curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

After two weeks of K12 (with a 2yo and 5mo in addition to my 3rd grader), I'm surprised I'm not a puddle of mush in the floor.

Here are my two biggest reasons why...

Science - I spend more time constructing her "experiments" than she does on the lesson. And so far, every lesson has something that needs to be put together. We are doing weather. We've made a Beaufort Spinner, a Humidity Tester and we're about to make something that demonstrates air pressure. I'd rather have taught her about what the things are, modern devices used to detect these things, and taken her on a field trip to somewhere that has this type of stuff. We can easily tell the wind speed by looking at the trees and flags, no need for a paper plate spinner. I know it's supposed to be fun, but since I have to make most of it (because our days are PACKED and there's no time to do it then), it's moot.

Language/Literature - She has so many different books!! She has six different workbooks! Four for Language Skills (one for learning new words and their meanings, one for grammar/usage/mechanics, one for analogies and another one we've only used once), plus one for Literature and one for spelling. It's madness. I haven't attended elementary school in a very long time, but this seems insane to me. Only two of the workbooks are big, but still. We're constantly going from one to another. It would make sense to me to have one for literature, one for spelling and one for grammar/language. Every day we're doing 3-4 lessons in lit/language. And DD has ADHD symptoms, so switching from one to the next is tough. 

On the bright side, I do like Geography and Math so far, even though my 2yo thinks the Base-10 set is her new toy.

I like the concept of unit studies a lot. It makes so much sense to have everything tied together. I wonder if it'd make it easier to transition between subjects. It's going to take some convincing DH though. We had no idea that K12 existed when we first started looking into homeschool, but now that he knows all about it he's quite fond of it.

I'm starting to research now. One of the biggest reasons I chose k12 was because I'm an anal planner and I was so overwhelmed and didn't have {what I felt was} enough time to plan everything like lesson plans etc.

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Replies (11-12):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard it is easy to get bogged down with K12.

superwoman0105
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Personally, we use k12 and find it wonderful.  When my second grader got all of his stuff, he went from ok to being homeschooled to being extatic about it.  We went through all of the books and I organized everything by subject.  As far as the Language Arts, they put five subjects into the category and I don't do that when organizing.  Every subject gets its own organizational binder and bin.  That way my son doesn't feel like Language Arts never ends.  He is the type that doesn't like to be on one subject for long.  He is a type A and likes to check off the subjects he completes as he goes.  We just love this program!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)