Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's the damage?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
  • 43 Replies

So what's the damage this year? To you pocket book, that is! How much have you spent on curriculum? It always makes me cringe when I hit that "confirm order" button, knowing that I will spend more second semester (inevitably she will fly through her math and science so I will need to buy more).

ETA: Color me sleep. I just realized I asked you guys to fess up but didn't include the info myself. Lol. Thus far I've spent about $600 for my rising 6th grader and rising preschooler; we will usually spend another few hundred at the beginning of second semester to replace curricula that has been finished. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I'm using K12 so I didn't spend anything on curriculum.

Since it's my first year homeschooling I had to get a lot though. I spent $100 on a desk, $40 on a new bookcase (he broke his), a white board calendar, and a bunch of things to get him organized. I also spent money getting craft supplies and I'll have to get more once I come up with craft ideas. So far I have spent around $250-300

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM
You don't want to know, but it is less than what public schools say it costs them per kid. At least that is what hubby keeps telling me, lol. With everything, $600-$800, but it's worth it to us. That's for one sixth grade girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM

hahahahaha auty!!!!

ive spent nothing on curr yet

i have a library from years of homeschooling, but if i do see something i like, i buy it!

ohh wait i did buy a couple workbooks from rod and staff so 4 dollars!

BramblePatch
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM
With supplies, about $1000 on two kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Our K4 curriculum we purchased back in March was about $100, 1st grade was $900.  We will be purchasing K in just a few weeks and that will be another $500.  I also spent about $75 on supplies.  That included buying TONS of crayons (super cheap....50 cents a box), rulers, replacement dry erase boards for the kids (they used last years SO much that they are ruined), and a bunch of organizational supplies.  I did spend less than what it would cost to educate them in a BM classroom.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I've bought basic school supplies, maybe $40 worth.

We use a charter school so all the books n material are free.

I do want to buy some type of bible curriculum and will need some art supplies so I might need another $100.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I spent $88 on workbooks and a little science project from Amazon. Plus some crayons and other little stuff. I'm not really expecting the workbooks to last all year though.

I painted a magnetic blackboard wall and that was about $40 if you include the roller and stuff.

I'm planning on using my local library for a lot of things.

LOL I wish I had the school's $10,000 per child budget. You know what I could do with all that. He would end up being college bound by 10.

I'm homeschooling DS who's 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:50 AM
My curric was pretty cheap. I spend the most on organizational stuff and extras. I shop around online and at conventions to get our curric cheap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

So far, including supplies? Maybe 30 bucks. I need to buy a new laser printer cartridge so that will be 60 bucks but that lasts all year. I may spend a little more this year on a chemistry kit, but that is it. I am a pro at building free curriculum.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting coala:

Our K4 curriculum we purchased back in March was about $100, 1st grade was $900.  We will be purchasing K in just a few weeks and that will be another $500.  I also spent about $75 on supplies.  That included buying TONS of crayons (super cheap....50 cents a box), rulers, replacement dry erase boards for the kids (they used last years SO much that they are ruined), and a bunch of organizational supplies.  I did spend less than what it would cost to educate them in a BM classroom.

I tell myself that it's cheaper than what we were paying in tuition for 1 child, to educate all 3 at home. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN