Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

video games yeah or neah

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 21 Replies

do you allow in your home?

if so what type of games are yoru children allowed to play? age of child?

thank you

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM
My oldest (DS 5) can play on the xbox 360 a couple of times a month...no more than an hour or so at a time. Its a major reward. He loves Madagascar 3 and Cars. He DOES have a handheld Digi (an early Leapster I got for $15 at a garage sale) and all the games are educational. He plays that in the car on longer road trips....so also a couple of times a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

my kids never had them growing up, so i dont know if i'd allow them or not~ but i probably would!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Hubby and I are into games so our kids are, too.

Rob's family does have issues with technology addiction so we do keep an eye on the behavior of our kids and how wrapped up they get into the games. Cole (7) showed issues with getting too attached to characters and getting frustrating so we limited his games to uber kid ones like Digger. That was a year ago. Now, between us working with him and him maturing a bit, it is much less of an issue.

We vet all games before the kids are allowed to see them, but we're pretty good at picking out the good ones.

We, also, avoid sex, nudity, and bad language.

We don't allow them to watch grossss violence or anything too life like.

AmyG1976
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM

we have a wii each kid has a DS have a few old old gameboys and some other old old old system. kids are 7-9-11-16 they can play as much as they want really never had a reason to stop them and whatever they wanted if started to affect there cleaning or schoolwork or getting out side and friends then well yeah but never had an issue. Right now skylanders is the popular one amungest the younger 3 big one plays so rarely its hard to say

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

We are all gamers here!

My children are allowed to play maturity appropriategames, we have PS3,PS2,PS1,Wii, GameCube, DS, PSP, as well as computer games. my children's ages are 18; 9 & 7

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

We have Wii and PS3... the kids are asking for an xbox @@ I don't think we need another system but DH thinks it would be ok... they might get it for Christmas..whatever. 

They play pretty much anything they want. I limit the M games. They aren't allowed to play any of the Grand theft Auto games. (Drugs, sex, violence) but are allowed to play war type Call of Duty (blood n guts ok) lol

In the summer, I don't limit it a whole lot, they rot their brains. Once we start school (TODAY!) they are limited to 2 hours per night and only AFTER school work is done.

Picture.This
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

We are the odd balls out then lol. We don't own any gaming systems. DD and DS do play games on the computer every now and then. 

EyeSpyDesigns
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

They are allowed, but for a certain time. Everything has a healthy limit on it. As for game content, we keep the games appropriate to the age. Most of what we have in our home is party games on the Wii or DS. Things like Mario Kart, Super Mario, Mario Party, Game House bundles, Monopoly, Super Mario Smash Brothers Brawl, Legos Star Wars, Word Search, Bookworm, Peggle Deluxe, Zelda series, Time Management Games, Hidden Object Games, Puzzle Games, Science Papa, NASA Space Camp, Big Brain Academy, Logic, Professor Layton series, and so forth. That's what we have in our home.

Stephanie - soap maker, lovin' wife, dedicated momma, full time RV'er, homeschool teacher, & part time internet addict.

A_McCool
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

In our house, we have 2 PC's used for gaming.  A wii, an xbox, a Ps2, a PS1, an NES, an original DS, a DS Lite, a 3Ds, an original gameboy, a gameboy color, a gameboy advance XP, and a PSP.  My 5 year old mostly plays Mario and Pokemon on the DS Lite, and I've never had to limit her playing time as she doesn't play for prolonged periods, yet.  She wants (and is probably getting) a 3DS for Christmas (I will not let her touch mine).

wowguildmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

We are a gamer family but most of our game time is during the height of summer when it is 100+ too hot to be outside or during bad weather in the winter. If the weather allows for the outdoors my kids will tear a door down getting to the backyard lol. So we have never had issues with the games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)