Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

Would you suggest i spend on schooling a day for my pr-k and kindergartner? I don't want to spend to little time but i also don't want to spend to much time either and burn them out. Also how much time do you spend with each subject?

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Kinder never took more than an hour a day with huge play breaks between subjects and very little "sit down" work.

mjp2707
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I do 4 hours of learning for my k. My preschooler goes to a private pre school 3 days a week 2 1/2 hours a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

hi picture,

for pre - k i only went a couple hours with 4 kids

10- 15 min on subjects , but at this age there wasnt to many subjects! just lots of play! hahaha

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I would never do structured learning with a child that young but if you feel the need I would think 1 to 2 hours is more then enough for them but I would spread it out through out the day & not lump it all together.

superwoman0105
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have a three year old and I do Busy Bee Preschool lessons with him.  If you are looking for a program check out busybeepreschool.com.  There lessons are two days a week for three hours for each day with a snack break in the lesson.  I don't have a K student but my preschooler loves the lessons.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

My children are now grown, but I still tutor (in home & PC), and am a  home school workshop leader.  Home school is not the classroom....when you home school, the whole world is your classroom.  Here is an article that should help:

How To Home School The Pre K Student

thatgirl70
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

We have it scheduled for 1.5 hours a day, 4 days a week, though it's kind of pushed into 2 hours almost with the extra stuff. Keeping it on the low side for now because more than that, he will probably be more resistant.

Actually, it's probably shorter than that, it goes from 1:00p-2:30p and he gets 10 minute breaks in between - 3 twice a week and 2 twice a week.

kajira
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

We do more structured learning for our 3rd grader, but my 20 month old, we do coloring, exploring, adventuring, we let her help cook, she helps do chores around the house, we do sign language and story time. 

She's included in a lot of the stuff my older one does, but its more age appropriate for her, no writing. we just go over colors, having her ask for what she wants, we talk about shapes, we watch cartoons and talk about feelings and do a lot of pretend play.

our oldest is autistic, so alot of the social and emotional and language/practice stuff we do is more for him simply because he's the same emotional/social age as his sister... so we do a lot of pretend play, and structured sharing activities.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Spend as much time as your youngsters wants. They are the ones that will let you know how much time is too little and or how much time is too much.  :)  I have found that if WE are excited about something, then so will theybe excited. Excitement is infectious you know.  :)  Start out with a little then if you find they want more, do more. You can always add to what they are learning, if that is what is needed.   

undefined

AmyG1976
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

till they know the work and get done... my kinders spent about 2hrs on school a day average

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)