Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Minor Panic Attack

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

Okay, so all the ps's around started back today...we are starting after Labor Day....but the panic has set in....seriously, what am I thinking? I am starting to question my decision to homeschool, I know we can do it...but I am freaking out a little...ok maybe alot...advice?

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do it.  I know you can.  You just need to find a fun way to start school. A relaxed way. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Just take it a day at a time and have fun doing it.

If you haven't already, go find a homeschool group/groups in your area to do playdates and maybe co-op or field trips.  That will give you some support and fun at the same time.

gratefulgal
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Just wanted to add that the past few weeks have been a major panic attack for me, too! Breathe and take it a day at a time. Alot of times we homeschoolers make it EXTRA difficult because we try to meet and EXCEED whatever the PS is doing, and sometimes that just gets to be too much. I try to focus on meeting, sticking with whatever I've chosen for curriculum and when we do go above and beyond, I rejoice!

HTH!

Amanda

oredeb
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

awwwwww  just think you get to have your kids at home!! teaching them what you want! guiding them, really letting them dig in when they want to learn something! dont have to worry bout bullying, or what happens on the playground, or any of that!! no bus ride home! or any bomb threats

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM

You can do this!!

Take a big breath, ease into your lessons, don't try to do a whole schedule your first week. It won't work! Start your school year off with a fun science experiment. 8) Excite yourself AND your kids!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We all go through it because the collective mind is strong & you are resisting it! I have been at this for over 6 years & I still have mild panic attacks & then I see PS kids & remember why I do this!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
You can do it! Every single one of us has the panic and doubts from time to time. That's when I grab a book and a coffee and do a little escapism.
katetheredhead
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So thank you all for your support...I am trying to chill and realize that I can do this...just a bit overwhelmed when I think of it...thank you all so much!

MrsKitchens25
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I agree with all the advice the ladies gave you! I live next to a private highschool and with the uniforms the girls wear.. no wonder boys are said to be poorer students academicly than girls.. I will Not send my son to a school where girls dress like street walkers!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

kajira
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

It's a little overwhelming isn't it? I remember the first time I tried to home school my son (before I knew he was autistic for sure) in kindergarten and he wasn't cooperative on ANYTHING I gave up after about 6 months and stuck him in regular school. They managed to get the basics into him, and now that he's in third grade, were winging it and everything's working much better on homeschool front.

I also tried using the k12 program, which was SO overwhelming and just way too much stuff for a kindergartner. Seriously, one of his science projects was about owls and how they are called a parlement.. I mean it's interesting and all, but it was much better suited for an older child, especially one who could undrestand and imagine where the term came from.

Now that we can customize our son's interests and just make sure we do enough math and basic stuff so he makes progress, winging it works a heck of a lot better.

Almost everything can be a learning experience, from cooking, to how to pay bills and how to do things when you take your animals in for their shots.... 

We learn more doing hands-on stuff on a daily basis, then he did sitting at a desk.

I probably only give about 20 minutes of book work per day, math/writing. the rest is art, legos, and around the house stuff... and the writing can be about science stuff, or history, or movies, or whatever, so it can all be applied.

"fun" doesn't mean you don't learn. Fun means my son's more interested IN learning!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)